This week Tamani gives you 10 masterful uses for… the microwave
The microwave was essentially created just for people like me who are always a dangerous combination of impatient and too hungry to wait for anything to cook the traditional way. But as someone who also enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, despite my limited abilities, I am here to tell you that you are probably not using your microwave to the extent of its capabilities. Sure you can use the microwave to heat up a ready meal, but why not keep fooling yourself into thinking you can actually cook with one of the following ways instead?
1. Potato: 5 minutes in the microwave versus 1 hour in the oven. Is there really even a question here?
2. Poach your own eggs: Crack an egg into a bowl and add a bit of water. Microwave for about a minute, and you should have yourself poached eggs.
3. Steamed vegetables: Pop raw vegetables in the microwave for a few minutes instead of waiting for them to boil. Then send a picture to your Mum so she can stop asking if you’re getting enough nutrition.
4. Cake in a cup. This will take you about 4 minutes – 3 minutes to Google a recipe and 1 minute for microwave-baking.
5. Pasta: I am a person who has burned pasta. If you too have embarrassed yourself in this way, try microwaving your pasta in a bowl of water.
6. Repeat all the steps above, but add cheese. Easy Mac.
7. Nachos: Crisps and cheese in the microwave for a minute. Excellent for when Dominos is already closed by the time you walk home.
8. Fondue: Melt chocolate/cheese and dip things in it. Fine-dining.
9. Crisps: Slice potatoes thin & cover with olive oil.
10. Heat up leftover takeaway. Trying to function like an adult full-time is exhausting.