Alan Inglis: A Dream Realised

Gayfield Centre: Until November 11th

In the small, understated gallery of Gayfield Centre in north Edinburgh, there is a fascinating exhibition on display by the photographer Alan Inglis. Aptly entitled A Dream Realised, it is a simple exhibition that is limited only to one minimal, white room and demonstrates the fruition of the adolescent dream of Alan Inglis to travel to Yosemite National Park, California, as well as various other locations.

It is a striking exhibition that displays a variety of natural beauty from all corners of the world, with the more distanced shots displaying a talent for capturing reflections. Conversely, the more intimate shots highlight detail, depth and texture, and these are seen most significantly in the shots taken in the glaciers in Iceland, particularly the ‘Glacier bergs’.   

‘Sea stacks, near Vik, Southern Iceland’ is a powerful individual photograph. It is a simple piece, without colour, and is in its nature barren and bleak. It is highly atmospheric and demonstrates a great deal of technique with light exposure. Another visually stimulating piece is ‘Brúarfoss, Iceland’. Here the photographer has captured water gushing into a stream that cuts through a rock formation. It is at once dramatic and tranquil, and a floating mist gives the photo as a whole a sense of the enigmatic and ethereal.  

The photographs generally also work very well with shapes and depth; in a single photo the blur of indistinct clouds can be seen simultaneously with the definitive lines of reeds emerging from water. These photographs, which display many elements of nature at work are equally effective alongside the more minimalist, understated photographs.

The success of the exhibition lies in the contrast between the humbleness of the photographer’s ambition, and the sheer scope and profundity of his work. The magnitude of many of the geographic spaces, the textures and detail of the more intimate photographs and the moving capacity of the individual photographs all contribute to the powerful effect of the exhibition.

Image: Alan Inglis