A Place To Call Home

We see them everywhere: strong, independent women. It is no surprise, because TV is experiencing a new wave of female portrayals, where woman can be both highly intellectual, sexually attractive and to some extent even ruthless. The leading female character in the Australian period drama, A Place to Call Home, is not an exception.

Sarah Adams (Marta Dusseldorp), is a clever, independent nurse, who is looking for a place to call home. After 20 years abroad during the Second World War, Sarah returns home to Australia in an attempt to reunite with her mother. Unfortunately, Sarah’s mother is unwilling to acknowledge her conversion to Judaism, and Sarah is forced to take on a job-offer in Inverness at the Bligh family, whom she has met three weeks prior to this event.

The transfer to Inverness does not occur as smoothly as predicted. The uncompromising matriarch of the wealthy Bligh family, Elizabeth Bligh (Noni Hazlehurst), does not want Sarah to stay and therefore goes to extreme lengths to prevent her from getting the job. Why is this? Well, the reason for this is, that just like many other families have secrets to protect, so does the wealthy Bligh family have their own mystery, which they – or rather, Elizabeth – wishes to bury. The Bligh family carries a great secret, which is revealed in the series first episode, when the Elizabeth’s grandchild, the soon-to-be father, James Bligh (David Berry), attempts to commit suicide. But Sarah also harbours a lot of secrets that make her a mysterious character.

A Place to Call Home is indeed worth recommending. With its well-cast actors and its authentic, beautiful setting in the 1950’s, the series captures the post-war years in a romantic view, where winds of social change are  around the corner. If you like strong female characters, mystery and the 1950’s, I would highly recommend you to try A Place to Call Home.