Albums of the Summer: The Babe Rainbow, ‘The Babe Rainbow’

ByAngus Barrett

Ironically branding themselves as “loverboys of bourgeois”, The Babe Rainbow, with their straggly hairdos, bareskinned feet, sitars, and harem pants, come closer to naturism than to conventionality.

Clips of the band are likely to feature patchwork quilts, lily pads, and ruffle shirts. However, their misty-eyed style is genuine. A product of New South Wales’ green change movement, The Babe Rainbow’s lemonade-sipping mystique is no less prevalent in their latest self-titled album – and wowsers does it make for a really good time.

This release has all the sweet aromas of a juicy tangerine and oozes goofy, nutty vibes.

‘Losing Something’, although quite sedate, has all the fragrance of summer: bidding you to “pack your’ bags”, “get your head up here” and join them “in the stratosphere.”

“‘Losing Something’ is finding something else”, frontman Angus Dowling says. With words like these you cannot help but be wheedled into the band’s world, floating somewhere in the twilight zone.

‘Peace Blossom Boogie’, as the name suggests, is as cool as a cucumber. The scooting guitar bounds along like a faithful dog wagging its tail, whilst the sugar shaker beat feels like it’s meant for picnic rugs and beach days. The accompanying video makes for smooth watching too.

‘Monkey Disco’ seems to skip forward a couple of decades from the ‘60s. Resembling more of a Ryan Paris hit, the same sugar shaker as in ‘Peace Blossom Boogie’ now sprinkles seasoning from the 80s with a decidedly French flavour. ‘Johnny Says Stay Cool’ is another song that speaks for itself. However, swapping the taste of France, the band now asks you to “breathe in” the smells of the outback, with a few ‘da da das’ thrown in for good measure.

Slipping in and out of Kinksesque rock and Pink Floydian bass lines, ‘Sunflower Sutra’ and ‘Fall in Love’ moderate the mood somewhat before ‘Superstition Shadow Walk’ and ‘Blue Hour’ reanimate a simply irresistible desire to get up and start skipping, probably – in The Babe Rainbow’s vision – through a field of daisies.

Even sweeter than a field of daisies is ‘Charms Travel’. Whilst it may not have you springing up out of your chair, it will make you extremely comfortable in it. If Angus’ crooning vocals aren’t enough to lull you, the lumbering ‘doo-wahs’ and lyrics such as: “Baby, there’s nobody but you” for sure will. If ever there was a song for a lazy summer morning then this is it.

The bleeping synths and chirpy flutes in ‘Survival Into the 21st Century’ and ‘Cosmic Now’ lift you up from your slumber with echoes of ‘Sgt Pepper’ before ‘Half a Kiss’ draws the curtains to this blissful musical scene.

Whilst some people may dismiss The Babe Rainbow with their typically bohemian appearance, this album will take you on a trip down memory lane, a trip which will leave you very happy you made the journey.

IMAGE: thesunflowersutra/Coda Agency