Firefighters in Edinburgh have extinguished a blaze which broke out at the OX184 pub in the Cowgate on Monday 8 January.
The three storey building was set alight just before 3PM on Monday afternoon. Seven emergency response vehicles were sent to the scene.
A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service told the BBC: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 14:50 on Monday to reports of a fire in Edinburgh.
“Operations control mobilised six fire appliances to the fire involving a three-storey building in the city’s Cowgate.
“Firefighters are using powerful water jets to tackle the fire.”
OX184 responded to the fire with a statement posted on social media: “Ox will be closed until further notice due to a fire in our building.”
They said that it was too early to know the full extent of the damage yet, but reassured followers that “all staff and beer are safe.”
Local resident Oliver Wain described the event to Deadline News Agency: “Staff were visibly shocked and shaken, I asked whether they were all ok and they said everyone had got out.
“They had first attempted to stop the fire but quickly abandoned the attempt. The fire staff were concerned for folk in the buildings above.”
There have been no reports of any casualties.
In a further update on social media, OX184 wrote: “Unfortunately we will be closed for the foreseeable future due to yesterday’s fire.
“Our sister bar Holyrood 9A will be happy to accommodate anyone who had booked in for dinner with us in the coming weeks! They can be reached on 0131 556 5044.
“We are currently assessing the damage but at this stage would like to express our sincere thanks to the Fire Brigade for all their efforts in tackling the blaze.”
The Cowgate has been the victim of a serious fire before; in December 2002 a severely damaging fire ignited above La Belle Angele nightclub. Here’s to hoping OX184 will open its doors again soon.
Image: Oliver Wain Via The BBC