Double decker bus crashes into overhead hospital walkway, injuring eight

An East Coast Buses double-decker bus transporting passengers  crashed into a bridge at Edinburgh’s Western General Hospital on Sunday, September 17 at 3.00pm.Eight passengers were injured and six hospitalised.

There have been no reports of life-threatening injuries.

The incident occurred when the fourteen-foot bus attempted to pass under the bridge, which had only twelve feet of clearance.

The entire top deck was consequently ripped off the bus, shattering it, and littering it across the road.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the crash at 3:38 pm.

Colin Main, a passenger on the bus, told the BBC that he had warned the bus driver that he had steered off route not long before the bus drove under the bridge.

A bystander also told the BBC he saw three people being treated at the scene, one of them being a female of around fourteen years old.

The same bystander also claimed to have sighted a male being treated by paramedics on the grass and later being placed onto a spinal board.

East Coast Buses have since stated that they are cooperating with police investigations, alongside conducting their own internal review of the situation.

The 23-year-old male driver of the bus has been reportedly treated for shock caused by the incident.

He has been charged with dangerous driving and is currently suspended from duty.

Image: Saltire Scotland

+