Casa Morada Calum Murray

Edinburgh business advertises 5,460 hours of unpaid work

Photo – Calum Murray (CP Collective Photography)

Casa Morada seeks six unpaid, full-time, six-month interns; insults applicant and university graduates in provocative emails

An Edinburgh-based interior design  business has been heavily criticised this week after advertising six unpaid, six-month-long ‘work experience internships’ on the job posting website Gumtree.

Casa Morada, which is based on Causewayside in Newington, Edinburgh, posted six jobs to the website in late August.

The Student reported the job advertisements to Intern Aware – the United Kingdom national campaign for fair internships – who acknowledged their potential illegality.

Each job required approximately 35 hours work per week, and lasted for six months, meaning the business was essentially advertising 5460 hours of unpaid work.

If these jobs were paid at the national minimum wage of £6.31 for over 21-year-olds, the work would be worth more than £34,000.

The roles advertised included that of a CAD Technician, an Office Admin Assistant, and a Graphic Designer.

Eugene MacDonald, an Edinburgh-based artist, wrote to Casa Morada last week, and asked why the business expected people to work for nothing.

He received a reply from Eva Serrano, the founder of Casa Morada, which stated: “I fully expect you to proof [sic] to me that you can actually be an asset to my business before I invest seriously in you with a full time contract.”

Serrano added: “I deliberately place UNPAID intern positions precisely to sort out the mediocre (you) who will never apply, from the formidable. You will never go far with your present mindset. Rest assured of that. 150 CVs now in, from as far as London, and counting.”

In an interview with The Student, MacDonald said that although he was initially displeased at seeing Casa Morada’s adverts, he was hugely offended by the email response he received, which he called “eye wateringly rude.”

Under UK employment law, people who work set hours, do set tasks and contribute value to an organisation are ‘workers’ and are entitled to the minimum wage.

Several of the jobs posted by Casa Morada included set working hours, and all of them included set jobs, outlining tasks that the ‘work experience intern’ would be expected to fulfil.

Speaking to The Student, Jo Swinson MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Employment said: “Far too many young people have been exploited on long-term unpaid internships. Anyone who is a worker is entitled to be paid at least the minimum wage, including if they are an intern.”

Chris Hares, the Campaigner Manager at Intern Aware, echoed Swinson’s comments, saying: “What is being asked for here is simply unpaid work and it could possibly be illegal – where an intern is doing real work they’re entitled to at least the minimum wage.

“Smart employers know that unpaid internships aren’t just wrong and illegal, they’re also bad for business. Paying interns allows employers to attract the best people – and not simply the small minority who can afford to work without pay.”

In an email to The Student, Serrano defended her employment practices  and rejected the suggestion that they were illegal and immoral. She said, “We don’t believe that working 35 hours per week  does in any form disadvantage students from poorer backgrounds because we all have universal access to 168 hours in every week of the year.

“The question here is how badly do you want to get into the highly competitive creative industry. Some will be prepared to make the personal sacrifice of holding two jobs, one paid, one unpaid, during six months to obtain valuable and priceless experience, increasing their chances of future employability, while others simply won’t bother.”

Serrano added: “A university degree is meaningless nowadays. Any average person with moderate IQ out there can get one.

“A recent graduate on an internship is an “intern” i.e. someone with limited capacity to make a serious and immediate contribution from the start and [is] largely “clueless” as to the challenges of surviving in a competitive environment.”

Update 1: Intern Aware have reported Casa Morada to HMRC for investigation [09/09/2014].

Update 2: Casa Morada have withdrawn all ‘work experience internship opportunities’ [10/09/2014].

Related News

109 Responses

1. Neill Hope
    Sep 09, 2014 - 10:10 AM

I wonder if she’d like to complete a full interior design scheme for my house for free and if I think it’s good enough I might pay her.

Pretty despicable human being.

• Bevan Edwards
      Sep 09, 2014 - 10:37 AM

“Redesign my kitchen for nothing. If I like it, I’ll pay you to do my living room and then maybe the rest of my house” is pretty much what’s being said, you’re right. Have an upvote.

• littletrotsky
        Sep 09, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Maybe a campaign of bombarding the company with work requests that include that stipulation (“is willing to pay £0 in order to separate the mediocre (casa morada) from the formidable”)

• Stephen
      Sep 09, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Why are you paying her? The experience she’d be getting would be priceless.

• Student
        Sep 09, 2014 - 02:32 PM

I’m sure a good reference would suffice as pay, she’d have no leg to stand on turning that down

• Simon Bond
          Sep 09, 2014 - 07:37 PM

No?! How would a good reference from somebody who couldn’t be arsed to pay the inter going to do any good?! If someone can’t be bothered to pay an intern then their words in a reference are worthless.

If I ever run my own company years down the line and I seek new staff, I will make a point of refusing someone who has done work experience for free, because it will most likely be worthless experience.

• Lizzy
            Sep 09, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Seriously??? You’d penalize the young person being exploited?? Internships can be great experiences even if they involve menial tasks–it’s a chance to learn about an industry and roles within. I hope if you ever do make hiring decisions, you get to know the candidates and hear what they have to say about their experiences and learning.

• Simon Bond
              Sep 09, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Well yes, I would. I personally don’t believe experience completing menial tasks such as making drinks as great experience unless that student is applying to become a barista. If I were to, say for example, run my own environmental consultancy firm, any applicants would need knowledge relating to specific areas of environmental concern as opposed to stocking up the staplers and getting my coffee just so.

I also have little respect for interns who are willing to work for free. They may want to do it, they may not…either way they’re fuelling a dirty business practice. If people stopped accepting unpaid work experience then obnoxious employers wanted slave labourers would have no choice but to give up or to pay. In turn, they are more likely to make their intern do meaningful tasks because they’re paying for it. Ultimately, the intern gains truly valuable work experience.

Again, if I were hiring, I’d want good, strong, applicable and, most importantly, professional work experience. Unpaid work experience does not resonate “professional” to me.

• Hannah
                Sep 10, 2014 - 12:56 PM

I don’t think it’s fair to place too much blame at the feet of unpaid interns. Certainly for me to get a step on the “career ladder” in arts administration, I had to have relevant experience to be considered for an entry level job – the classical music industry is very slimline in terms of admin staff, and the festival I interned at simply did not have the budget to employ an extra person for festival time. If I had taken the moral high-ground and refused to work for free (for 3 months, with accom + food provided for the 3 festival weeks, plus travel to and from the part of the country I was working in), I would have lost out to someone else and would probably be working in some menial job now. I could have sat around and waited for everyone else to also refuse to work for free, but realistically that is not a culture that is going to change from the ground up.

I also think it probably depends largely on the industry what kind of experience interns end up getting. My internship contained very little making of tea and a huge amount of hard work, with responsibility and experiences I have found very useful in my career. My employers were very generous with the time and support they gave me and I came out of it much better prepared for a career in arts administration.

Perhaps it’s different in the environmental consultancy industry, but you could very easily miss out on someone who could benefit your hypothetical firm if you assume that all unpaid interns have gained nothing useful – I’m sure there are people out there who, like my employers, feel that it is their duty to reward free work with useful experience, contacts and knowledge.

• Niamh
                Sep 10, 2014 - 08:38 PM

I felt compelled to comment as I am 18 months into a graduate position in….an environmental consultancy! One of the reasons I got the job was spending 6 months in a unpaid position in a government regeneration office – waitressing to support myself.

• Simon Bond
                Sep 10, 2014 - 08:56 PM

That is highly unusual if I’m honest. Most environmental consultancies are very keen to offer paid internships and I would’ve thought that the route you took was a bit unnecessary. My position at the moment, as previously mentioned, is to set-up and run an internship scheme which hasn’t been done in this way before in the UK at least. It has been done for Geography students, the majority of which are BA students and then BSc. Of the large amount of companies contacted, the ones who replied the most and have been willing to pay without mentioning it are environmental consultancies. Not only that but they have shown huge willingness to visit the university I’m at and become involved in talks, mock interviews, advice sessions and careers events. One is so keen that the managing director of the company, one of the country’s leading environmental consultancies, is visiting me at the university himself rather than us going to them and meeting with someone lower down.

And, as a case study in itself, do I do this full-time as a job? No, I’m an undergraduate doing this part-time because I wanted to. It’s not always about industry specific experience…it’s usually about the confidence and willingness of the person applying. I always laugh when a graduate says they’ve applied to hundreds of jobs and gotten nowhere, because I confronted around 70 companies out of the blue asking them for internships for our students, of which I am one. The aim was 5/6 positions and we were told that would be difficult to impossible…we’re currently faced with three times that provisionally.

• Luis
                Sep 12, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Your idea about tasks made by a trainee is completely wrong, at least according my experience in several internships. ¿Making drinks? I did exactly the same kind of work that my workmates in the same office. The only difference was that they had a contract a earned much more money. But the work, and therefore the experience, was the same.

• CostaDel
            Sep 10, 2014 - 11:36 AM

Simon, I’m so glad to hear you say that. I’ve always though EXACTLY the same. Bravo!

• derek
            Sep 10, 2014 - 01:42 PM

I think you misread “Student”; they were sarcastically suggesting giving Eva Serrano nothing but a reference for work, on the theory that turnabout is fair play. In other words, they’re on your side.

• Simon Bond
        Sep 09, 2014 - 07:35 PM

No it wouldn’t be. The vast majority of unpaid interns end up doing menial and unrelated tasks…like making cups of coffee and tea for the scumbag who wanted a slave for an extended period of time!

For many, experience is still not enough. Even then, a student should not have to effectively whore themselves out to the world just to get a bit of experience.

2. CostaDel
    Sep 09, 2014 - 01:15 PM

Another obnoxious employer utlising the despicable practice of unpaid internships. Shame on you, Eva Serrano.

3. calum
    Sep 09, 2014 - 02:44 PM

dat pic tho

4. Simon Bond
    Sep 09, 2014 - 07:33 PM

The owner of this business is a barefaced liar and, as far as I’m concerned, absolute scum! I have been running an internship scheme which, it’s its form, is the first of it’s kind in the UK and possibly globally. The only organisations I’ve come across that do not pay interns are organisations such as councils and other government-funded organisations that simply do not have the available funds and have made it clear that, if they could pay then they would. For this reason, my university is paying those internships themselves. Every other company I’ve contact have assumed that the interns will be paid and have been very happy to do so.

Companies that wish to clearly exploit students and essentially create slave labour need to be stopped! The vast majority of universities agree and many refuse to even discuss advertising unpaid internships. There’s a huge number of companies out there that also agree on the vulgarity of unpaid work experience for students.

Those that think a wage for an intern doesn’t matter due to the valuable experience they receive are just as bad as those obnoxious companies trying to seek free labour. Put it this way, if you were a fully qualified GP and looking for a job, what would you do if an NHS practice offered you an unpaid job for half a year to “see if they are right for the practice?!” Ridiculous!

Unpaid labour, unless voluntary, is illegal and internships that are unpaid should be made illegal too!

5. John
    Sep 09, 2014 - 07:41 PM

This is exactly why I’m voting UKIP

• John is a huge moron
      Sep 09, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Pleas explain why voting UKIP would alter this practice?

• steve
        Sep 10, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Free immigration=asset shortage and labour glut. Restricted immigration=asset glut and labour shortage. Let’s see Ms. Serrano try her “take it or leave it, plenty more of you” tactics when she can’t find any workers, because they’ve all got their pick of work.

• Kyle
      Sep 09, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Those unelected eurocrats in Brussels are exactly what is holding British youth back from paid jobs, I’m voting with you John!

• johnlyons121
      Sep 09, 2014 - 08:57 PM

That makes no sense at all. UKIP has never, to the best of my knowledge, openly shown any concern about intern or employee rights.

• Dave
        Sep 09, 2014 - 09:00 PM

look mate I’m sorry you’re happy with 75% of our laws being made in Brussels but some of us want Britian governed by the British

• VoteYes
          Sep 09, 2014 - 09:01 PM

won’t be britain any more after the 18th

• johnlyons121
          Sep 09, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Since I made no reference at all to the influence Europe has on laws made in Britain, you have no idea about my happiness or otherwise about EU regulations.

My question was how you think the lot of ordinary British workers is supposed to be improved by UKIP – a party which is led by a man who thinks we’ve been terribly beastly about the banks and which has never shown the slightest concern for workers’ rights.

• Dave
            Sep 09, 2014 - 09:41 PM

No concern for workers’ rights? He is the only man brave enough to stand up and say he wants to stop unwelcome immigrants coming in from continental Europe and stealing our jobs.

• johnlyons121
              Sep 09, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Please explain how UKIP policy on employment would stop the kind of abuses described in this article.

• CostaDel
              Sep 10, 2014 - 11:43 AM

If someone without contacts, money or speaking the language can steal your job, you’re shit.

• Zelu
              Sep 12, 2014 - 09:45 PM

If some non Brit without contacts, being fluent in the language, and any familiar support is able to “steal” you a job, it means that maybe you are a piece of shit unable to work.
              There are still opportunities for graduated jobs here in the UK, if a foreigner is employed before you, well you do not worth it.
              Enjoy piece of illiterate cunt!

• EleEse
              Sep 13, 2014 - 05:29 PM

There are more than 1 million brits living in Spain, most of them working. Are they stealing Spanish jobs, too?

Britain has been regarded as a country which has always clearly and firmly fought fascism. SO FAR. Before you vote UKIP, consider what the British buried in mass graves in Belgium or France would think of that.

• johnlyons121
              Sep 26, 2014 - 06:37 PM

You know how voting UKIP would protect people from the kind of workplace exploitation Eva Serrano is so keen on? Here’s Nigel Farage’s take on employees’ rights.

• Mariana
            Sep 11, 2014 - 08:13 AM

Because Eva is Spanish, and all immigrants would be kicked out, so she wouldn’t be there offering unpaid internships, that’s why.

6. Anthie Orphanou
    Sep 09, 2014 - 07:55 PM

That’s preposterous… I really hope this business is punished for its practices both legally and from its own clients.

7. Alexander Arthur
    Sep 09, 2014 - 09:47 PM

i guess if you get an unpaid designer you end up with the kind of rubbish she has standing outsider her shop.

• Kapitalista
      Sep 11, 2014 - 11:39 AM

That was most likely her shopping in IKEA… :-))

8. MamaChitChatChitterling
    Sep 09, 2014 - 09:53 PM

The comments on her FB page are priceless.

9. SrslyPissedOff
    Sep 10, 2014 - 02:02 AM

Speechless. Such arrogance.

10. James Gray
    Sep 10, 2014 - 07:21 AM

Well done guys. Good piece, and a very very relevant issue. What a horrible person. Keep it up.

11. Jim Campbell
    Sep 10, 2014 - 08:35 AM

And they said we had abolished slavery.

• Feynman
      Sep 12, 2014 - 05:15 PM

This is not slavery. Slaves used to get food and shelter form their masters.

• Manuel
        Sep 15, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Exactly!! good point!! slaves got food and even a place to leave

12. Nağme Yazgin
    Sep 10, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Can I use your wallpapers for free for 6 months and see how it goes before I ACTUALLY buy them? No, I won’t return them either. But I will see if I want to pay for them at a later date.

13. CycleGuy
    Sep 10, 2014 - 01:24 PM

I find unpaid internships despicable.

14. Greg
    Sep 10, 2014 - 03:23 PM

We all have ‘universal access to 168 hours in the week’, if we don’t sleep! This woman wouldn’t be get the job she’s advertising for- certainly not a ‘formidable’ mind.

15. BetrayedRosse
    Sep 10, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I’d be happier if the person writing the article knew the basic difference between their and they’re.

• Random
      Sep 10, 2014 - 04:46 PM

There is literally no mistake involving ‘they’re’ and ‘their’ in the article.

16. A Science Student
    Sep 10, 2014 - 04:31 PM

There is a maths error: 35 hours per week in 52 weeks per year is 1820 hours. Six months is 910 hours and at minimum wage of £6.31 per hour the wage is £5742.10 for the six months. This is close to the 5460 figure which probably accounts for mandatory holidays and suchlike.

Not to detract from the article: unpaid internships is just blatant exploitation but minumum wage is also pretty low, not a £68,000 per year affair, if only it were.

• A maths student
      Sep 10, 2014 - 04:45 PM

There are six positions. 910 hours x 6=5460

17. shell
    Sep 11, 2014 - 04:15 PM

My daughter finished her degree but needed experience to be able to get a job. She was working there. No experience was offered as, apparently, Serrano the chancer did not have a clue. She wants slaves, so she got a constant stream of people working there for nothing. I thought that could not be legal, I suggested my daughter to go to the CAB to find out, but she left after a couple of months with a penny. The nicest thing was that she asked her to work extra hour promising a permanent contract after her ‘trial period’.

• Enrique
      Sep 14, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Typical spanish…

18. PENE
    Sep 12, 2014 - 02:31 PM

No money? Well, fuck u nigga

19. Zelu
    Sep 12, 2014 - 02:31 PM

Sadly that is the way of spanish Spanish businessmans.
    All employers in my country want free labour slaves to work on their companies.

I am very glad the response of you brits, this is what youngs Spaniards has to fight everyday to get a work, unpaid internships.

• Manu
      Sep 12, 2014 - 03:06 PM

I was going to post exactly the same!! These businessmen/women are simply disgusting. If she was so convinced she was right and everything was legal, why has she withdrawn all the ads? I hope she has at least a fine or some kind of penalty. I know where I won’t go next time I am in Edinburgh…

• Manuel
      Sep 15, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Exactly Zelu, this is the typical “empresaurio”, you know what I mean (For the english native speakers: “empresario” means “entrepeneur”, “dinosaurio” means “dinosaur”, so “empresario” + “dinosaurio” = “empresaurio”, we mean the way they think is obsolete)
      There are a lot in Spain. They don’t mind if you have a degree, or even a PhD. They despise anyone with a degree because they have achieved a great role in a company or they have built one without having studied at college. It is very usual in Spain finding a boss with only the school finished, even some of the Spanish prime ministers have counselors that only have finished secondary school. My god, what can you expect when even our current prime minister or the previous one don’t speak english!!! Our country is a joke in this matters.

20. guest
    Sep 12, 2014 - 02:36 PM

35 hours per week, 4 weeks a month during 6 months is 840 hours, not 5460

• Chris
      Sep 12, 2014 - 02:51 PM

She is offering six internships, your calculations are for only one internship: hence 840 hours * 6 internships gives 5460 as correctly stated in the article.

21. karlos
    Sep 12, 2014 - 02:40 PM

vaya cara dura esta tia, que ponga a sus hijos a trabajar gratis

22. Alberto
    Sep 12, 2014 - 03:04 PM

From a Spaniard to you, people: this kind of politics and heartless employers are what we have to suffer everyday in Spain. “Lucky” us.

23. George
    Sep 12, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Shame on Spaniards!

• Anoninato
      Sep 12, 2014 - 04:08 PM

I am a Spaniard and yeah, shame on us. Shame on us for allowing the “entrepeneurs” in our homeland to treat workers like this, we have enabled several generations of business owners to think we do not have rights and should lick their shoes for a job.

• Manuel
      Sep 15, 2014 - 02:44 PM

I am spaniard, and shame on us, yes, but we are the victims here. The Spanish entrepreneurs are the scumbags, not us. That’s why we emigrate, because we want to get what we think we deserve, after years of hard work at college.

24. Manuel
    Sep 12, 2014 - 03:24 PM

I am Spanish, living and working in Dublin, and this is typical from an Spanish business owner. This is the main reason for what we emigrate, and one of the causes of all our problems in our country. In Spain, we call them, “hijos de puta”.

• Bea
      Sep 12, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Completely agree

• Melon
      Sep 12, 2014 - 07:29 PM

I’m spanish too and I totally agree with Manuel. That’s a very typical behaviour here, but not only for recently graduated students also for long-term unemployed people or inmigrants. Not only is despicable, It should be punished and pursued and honestly, I mean no harm to Ms. Serrano but I do really hope that her business gets some kind of penalty for her rudeness and spanish-short-minded view of the world. Such a shame :/

• Waterlord
      Sep 17, 2014 - 10:48 AM

I’m Spanish, living in Spain and I’m completely agree. This Eva is the classic and typical Spanish entrepreneur. She thought she could export the way that the Spanish entrepreneur sees the world.

25. RRbig
    Sep 12, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Like it or not, this is the new breed of employers. Mediocre human beings who just want to exploit other human beings using excuses from the new-age-follow-your-dreams working philosophy. It really brings the worst in me, I surely wouldn’t mind if all this cancer of society was eliminated, no matter how.

26. Pablo
    Sep 12, 2014 - 04:39 PM

As a Spaniard I’m used to those “entrepreneurs”, maybe she did’nt noticed she is not in Spain anymore :/

27. Tito
    Sep 12, 2014 - 04:51 PM

I assume that Eva Serrano, the founder of Casa Morada is Spanish. I honestly think that this is the kind of emigration that UK doesn’t need.

I guess know many people will understand better why lot of Spanish like myself are leaving Spain. Unfortunately this kind of things happen every single day there.

28. Santaklaus Klaus
    Sep 12, 2014 - 05:00 PM

Bitch!

29. Angry spaniard
    Sep 12, 2014 - 05:01 PM

This story has reached the top of the most important news web in spanish. Here you have the link:

Let me translate you the comment #21
    “6 becarios by the face durante 6 meses. Luego dentro de 6 meses otros 6 y así me forro yo. Y si no te gusta trabajar gratis para que yo me forre voy y te llamo mediocre porque encima de ser una explotadora no tengo educación (cosa que cualquiera con un CI medio tendría). Valiente sinverguenza morada.”

6 internships for free for six months. Then, in six months six more internships and, like that, I will cover myself in gold. And, if you don’t like to work for free to cover me in gold, I call you mediocre because it’s not only that I’m an abuser, but I don’t have any maners neither (something that anyone with an average IC will have). Bloody purple scoundrel” (note: morada means purple in spanish).

30. Juan Navarro Garcia
    Sep 12, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Ruego que nadie solicite ninguna plaza de becario en esa empresa de mierda.Este tipo de gente y empresarios mediocres son las que han llevado a la ruina a España,son personas que se quejan del sueldo de los trabajadores pero siempre han amasado su fortuna atraves de la explotacion y de los recursos publicos.Solo espero que se tenga que meter sus puestos de trabajo por el culo y cierre su mierda de tienda.
    Un saludo desde España.
    P.D: Por culpa de retardadas como esta los españoles estamos mal mirados en todos los lugares del mundo.Esta mujer no representa a los españoles.

31. J
    Sep 12, 2014 - 06:33 PM

It’s outrageous. I am ashamed of being spanish and sharing my nationality with such a slaver.

32. Karl
    Sep 12, 2014 - 06:36 PM

So she want only “the formidable” working for her but can’t even speak proper english herself? Yeah, she is spanish, no doubt.

33. Casa morada shameless
    Sep 12, 2014 - 07:34 PM
  34. Calabria
    Sep 12, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Recently a famous(ish) spanish businessman tweeted something like “If you want a job, work for free for two months. If they like you, they will hire you and perhaps they’ll pay you for these two months”. Spanish culture, people, in case someone was wondering why we try to work abroad.

35. Sergio
    Sep 12, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Typical Spanish entrepreneur. This is why so many Spanish Engineers and Bachelors are leaving Spain. The bad new is that it seems that entrepreneurs are also leaving…

36. masalucila
    Sep 12, 2014 - 10:03 PM

I worked there,unpaid and with a very rude attitudesometimes…

37. Harold Alexander
    Sep 12, 2014 - 11:16 PM

She was just trying to “export” (so to say) a, sadly, common practice among Spanish employers in Spain, which is offering “internships” and the like when in fact those are full-time jobs, with no income or salary, stating that the “intern” is “getting paid with experience and knowledge”, much to the chagrin of common Spanish workers, who suffers those practices while the Government (now a conservativa, but also the previous socialist one) turns a blind eye.

Glad to know there’s some common sense out there, though.

Kindest regards from an Spanish worker.

38. Ruben
    Sep 13, 2014 - 05:44 AM

I am an Spanish guy who left Spain after graduating university due to crisis + people like Eva Serrano, that makes being self-sufficient a complete utopy in my home country.
    Is a shame that she moved abroad exporting the shitty mentality of some of our local business owners.

39. Paco
    Sep 13, 2014 - 07:35 AM

She’s only doing what conservative Spanish gov likes in Spain. I wish she has what she deserves.

40. Spanish-jarl
    Sep 13, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Believe it or not, this business advertises are very common in Spain: work for free as a trainee and then, we’ll see. Maybe this woman thought that she could export the idea to Edimburgh!

41. Carlitos
    Sep 13, 2014 - 10:16 AM

This is quite common in Spain. Right now our unemployment rate is near 25% and people is willing to work, even if unpaid. This girl must have thought that other countries are in the same wavelength, but they are not. Probably those 150+ CVs from London were from Spaniards living in london and still unemployed because they can’t even speak the language. I hope her business goes bankrupt and she has to look for a job…

42. Juan C Walls
    Sep 13, 2014 - 11:01 PM

Marca España (c)

43. AlexGallego.com
    Sep 13, 2014 - 11:23 PM

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what we have to deal with every day in our “wonderful” country, Spain.

44. donde las dan
    Sep 14, 2014 - 02:43 AM

Esta señora tendría que hacer de prostituta gratis durante seis meses, a ver si sirve. Luego, la pueden contratar en un puticlub porque ya tendrá la experiencia para el empleo que se merece.

45. eduardo
    Sep 14, 2014 - 08:39 AM

This is the Spanish way of doing business. Not that long ago I remember reading a job ad asking for “senior interns” with more than 2 years of experience to work for free. And this is allowed in Spain, nothing illegal. That’s way people are leaving the country in thousands, we can’t cope with the level of dishonesty and unscrupulous business people that will exploit their own to become richer.

I personally wish that this woman runs out of business, that karma exists in one way or another and gets back to her.

46. Enrique
    Sep 14, 2014 - 01:24 PM

Congrats Britons, there you have why you will never have a 25% of unemployment… I still remember how my brother, who had never had any degree or anything, had to teach a group of five people to do an unpaid internship (an actual job) that previoussly would have been done by workers. Food for thoughts, call them lazies and the topic of the siesta..

47. Another expatriated
    Sep 15, 2014 - 10:18 AM

And this is Spain, country of Sun and Companies that want you to work for them…for FREE!. One year more and I will be able to change my nationality to an UK one and remove all traces of this retard country. Soon…

48. deBona
    Sep 16, 2014 - 09:34 PM

I wish we had some organization like Intern Aware here in Spain, from where that woman seems to be and where unpaid internships are common trade…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Company Under Fire After Offering Six Month Unpaid Internships Totalling Nearly 5,500 Hours Of Work - The Morning News
  2. 3 years of unpaid internships advertised by interior design company | The Tab Edinburgh
  3. Interns! What is the rudest thing an employer has ever said to you?
  4. Anonymous
  5. Empresaria española en Edimburgo busca seis becarios, a jornada completa, durante seis meses, sin remunerar [ENG]
  6. Casa Morada: cómo arruinar tu reputación ofreciendo prácticas | Contactollanos
  7. Casa Morada: cómo arruinar tu reputación ofreciendo prácticas
  8. Cheapskate company Under Fire After Offering Six Month Unpaid Internships Totalling Nearly 5,500 Hours Of Work | Living in Anglo-America
  9. Destruir tu reputación digital en 3,2,1… | GR Comunicación Digital
  10. ¿Cómo se responde a alguien que te ofrece currar 6 meses gratis? | Blog del Sindicato de Arquitectos
  11. El Contrato de Mitrídates | n+1