Edinburgh University Fencing Club bring home gold

Members from the Edinburgh University Fencing Club (EUFC) competed in the Scottish Open, where all the top fencers of Scotland met for the title of best Scottish fencer. EUFC came back with three titles and six medals, the largest amount for any club in Scotland. Champions Chloe Dickson, Viktoria Koch, and Jamie Craze, obtained gold medals in women’s foil, women’s epee and men’s sabre. In addition, EUFC women’s 1s won their first fixture of the season with a 131-114 win against Durham University women’s 1s.

In their first match of the season, the Edinburgh University Futsal Club men’s 1s finished the match with a 5-3 win.

Edinburgh University Ultimate Frisbee (Ro Sham Bo) hosted the second of the three beginner’s tournaments, aptly named “Edinburgh Beginners”. Edinburgh’s beginners proved to be brilliant, coming a respectable fourth and 12th in the tournament.

The Edinburgh University Volleyball Club women’s 2s won a sweeping 3-0 victory against Robert Gordon University 1s. The men’s 1s lost 3-0 (25-18; 25-23; 25-19) to a strong University of Sheffield men’s 1s side. EUVC men’s 2s team took home a fantastic 3-1 away win against the University of Strathclyde.

There were mixed results for Edinburgh University Netball Club. The 3s started with a 38-30 win against University of Aberdeen 1s. EUNC 4s beat University of Dundee 1s 48-32 and the 5s sadly lost 22-17 away against the University of Aberdeen. Finally, the 6s played Robert Gordon University 2s, although they succumbed to a 29-19 defeat.

Edinburgh University Judo Club had members competing in the Kyu Grade Tournament in Glasgow organised by Scottish Student Sport. Andrew Bailie competed in the 2nd Kyu and gained a well-deserved gold medal.

Edinburgh University Women’s Hockey Club 5s and 6s won both their games, with the 5s winning 12-0 against the University of Dundee women’s 3s and the 6s beating Edinburgh Napier University women’s 2s 18-0. The 7s defeated the University of Strathclyde 3s 3-1. However, EUWHC 8s and 9s lost 4-2 and 2-1 to Kelso 2s and Watsonians 5s respectively.

It was an undefeated week for Edinburgh University Men’s Hockey Club (EUMHC), with special mention for the matches below. The 3s played against the 4s in a derby, the match went in favour of the 3s 3-1. The EUMHC 6s continued the winning form with a 2-1 win over the University of Aberdeen 3s. The last result was from a league match between the 7s and Watsonians 4s, finishing in a draw 2-2.

Edinburgh University Rugby Football Club men’s 1s travelled to down south to face the University of Leeds 1s in Premier North A, however, sadly lost 40-27. The 4s started off the winning home streak this week, beating Edinburgh Napier University 2s 36-5. EURFC 2s were next up against Abertay University 1s, winning 70-0 in spectacular fashion. Finishing the winning streak, the 3s played University of Aberdeen 4s. The boys came out with a comfortable 47-15 win.

The Edinburgh University Ladies Rugby Club 1s continued their domination this season in the Premier North division with a fantastic 72-0 victory against Newcastle University 1s. Unfortunately, the 2s lost their friendly against the University of the West of Scotland, 42-17.

The Edinburgh University Squash Club Women’s 1s put in an amazing performance against Watsonians squash club, winning all five matches without dropping a single game.

Carrying on the great work, Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club 1s beat University of Aberdeen 1s 2-1. The 2s played University of St Andrews, however, lost 2-1.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Fencing Club

+