Edinburgh University Honorary Professor awarded Nobel Prize

Professor Edvard Moser, an Honorary Professor at The University of Edinburgh’s College of Medicine and Veterinary Science, and his wife May-Britt Moser, also an affiliate in the Centre for Cognitive and Neural Systems, have been awarded the 2014 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine.

The Mosers share half of the prize, the other half was awarded to Professor John O’Keefe of University College London.

The Mosers were awarded the prize for their work on discoveries of spatial cells in the brain. They both worked between 1995 and 1997 as post-doctoral researchers with Richard Norris, Professor of Neuroscience at The University of Edinburgh.

Responding to the news, Norris said: “It is wonderful news […] I am absolutely delighted for this prestigious award to go to dear friends and fabulous scientists.

“I am particularly pleased for May-Britt and Edvard – both former post-doctoral students and current affiliates at the University of Edinburgh’s Centre for Cognitive and Neural Systems.”

The couple joins 20 other Nobel Laureates connected to the University of Edinburgh, most recently 2013 laureate Professor Peter Higgs, Professor Emeritus at the University.

+