Edinburgh women glide past tough opponents

Both the 1st and 2nd Women’s football team dominated their match- es, winning 2-0 and 10-0 respectively against strong opponents. For the third time in a week the 2nds faced Glasgow Caledonian and were looking to make it three wins from three. Straight from the start Edinburgh were on top of the game and goals came thick and fast. The first goal was calmly slotted into the bottom corner by Kirsty Maden. Jodie Ovens then added a goal of her own minutes later.

As the half progressed the goals kept on coming from both Shannon Urquhart and Ovens, who grabbed another two to get a first half hat -trick! The second half continued in a similar fashion and further goals from Zoe Whittal (2), Ieva Gailiunaite, Mia Engelder and an unstoppable 20m free kick from Charmaine McGuire saw the Glaswegian side fall to a 10-0 defeat.

With Stirling also winning their game, they remain top of the table but Edinburgh continue to put pressure on them. The 2nds play their final BUCS League fixture before the Christmas break next week against Edinburgh Napier.

Meanwhile the 1st team were at home to St Andrews, who in our first 2014/15 game came back to draw with EUWAFC 4-4.

Edinburgh were looking to bounce back from a tough defeat in the Scottish Student Cup away to Stirling at the weekend where the game ended in penalties. The game started in a scrappy manner, with neither team managing to maintain much possession.

But it was Edinburgh who took the lead just before half time. Fantastic play between Nicola Mawson and Courtney McAvoy in the box was finished beautifully when McAvoy chipped the keeper from 5-yards. The second half was dominated by Edinburgh and it was Louise Kerr who doubled the lead with a 20-yard screamer.

Head Coach Mike Ross used his full bench and resilient play from all Edinburgh players kept the score at 2-0. This was a great week for EUWAFC as they took three points from both games, had two clean sheets for both goalkeepers and had nine different scorers. The club now turns full focus to the British Cup game next Wednesday against Manchester Met.