Edinburgh’s little beauty spots

Mascara is an essential product for any makeup bag. Wearing mascara instantly enhances your eyes, making them appear bigger, bolder and ultimately better. However, with so many brands claiming that their products are superior to others, it’s hard to know which one to choose. So let me offer a helping hand.

Emma recommends: Benefit’s they’re real! mascara, £19.50. After years of trying various mascaras from a number of high street cosmetic brands all claiming to be the next best thing, I decided to spend that little bit extra on the UK’s bestselling mascara (I can definitely vouch for its title). Benefit instructs you to wiggle the brush horizontally from side-to-side to create incredible volume and length. Next, to hold the brush vertically and stroke upwards, using the specially designed domed tip to curl your lashes. One of the best things about this product is that the they’re real! plastic wand hugs lashes from the root and separates them, giving each lash definition without clumping lashes together. For anyone wanting to achieve big, attractive eyes without the use of false lashes, this product is for you! I feel that I have finally found the mascara for me and won’t look back. It’s definitely worth that little bit of extra money. Psst – UNiDAYS are currently offering 10 per cent off on Benefit products.

All that said, I’m not suggesting a boycott of other products. Some high street products deliver good results: Maybelline’s Falsies Big Eyes mascara is a good product for those with a lower budget, at a retail price of £8.99. What’s better, students with an NUS Extra card can enjoy 10 per cent discount at Superdrug. The mascara is double-ended allowing for around-the-clock definition and the lower-lash brush is one of the best features of the product.

Cheap products are appealing to the student’s purse but can be written off as a waste of money if they produce poor results. I purchased Rimmel Scandaleyes Rockin’ Curves mascara in Extreme Black for the modest price of  £6.99 with the hopes of achieving the ‘loud and curvy’ lashes that the product boasts. The heart-shaped wand is said to curve to the lash line, creating optimum results. I found, however, that the shape of the brush did not naturally follow the curve of my lashes but clumped them together and resulted in messy application. Needless to say, this product had a short lifespan. If you are looking for a bargain, as most students are, be careful.  A slightly pricier product, which makes your eyes pop, trumps a cheaper product that will leave you with spider lashes.

Don’t pump your mascara, as this dries it out quicker. Dipping the brush once is all that is required for voluminous lashes although multiple layers can be applied if desired.

Finally, maximise mascara results by using an eyelash curler. Though they can be uncomfortable and awkward to use at first, eyelash curlers instantly open your eyes and create a natural looking curve to complement the use of mascara.

Eyelash curlers can be found in most retailers and prices start from as little as £1.99. So there will be a product to suit all different budgets!