Edinburgh’s most spooktacular Halloween events

With Halloween only two weeks away, if you’re yet to make plans then you’re cutting it pretty close. Once you’re at university it’s hardly appropriate to go trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving seems like so much more effort now there’s no parent around to help.

Lucky for you we’ve rounded up the best of what’s on offer on 31 October for all your spooky needs.

1. Teviot House of Horrors 

A classic way to spend your Hallow-evening. Each year Teviot gets transformed into a horrifying haunted house, complete with jungles themes, clown mazes and a variety of live music. This year, Teviot offers you the chance to spend Halloween with Marcel from Blazin’ Squad who will be occupying the decks on the Lost Enchanted Island (more commonly known as the Debating Hall).

Tickets can be purchased on the Edinburgh University Students Association website for £5 in advance and the event lasts from 9 pm until 3 am. It’s bound to be a spooky night, just watch out for the zombies.

1. Denis Sulta’s 12 hour Halloween Spooktacular 

Maybe Teviot is a little too low-key for you. Maybe you’re looking for a few more beats and fewer clown mazes. Fortunately for you, FLY resident Denis Sulta will be dedicating his Halloween to one unforgettable night of music. Held over two venues (with a free shuttle between them), this event lasts from 5 pm to 5 am so you’ll need appropriate footwear. Nevertheless, the event also states that ‘fancy dress is essential’, so maybe not too appropriate.

Buy your tickets on Resident Advisor to ensure your place in the crowd. A day-time only ticket – 5 pm until midnight – costs £20. A night-time ticket – midnight until 5 am – costs £30 or both can be bought as a bundle for £40.

1. The Halloween Ball

This night is hosted by both the Edinburgh University A Cappella Society and the Edinburgh University Blood, Bone Marrow and Transplant Society. It ties together both the spookiness of Halloween and the graciousness of fundraising as profits go to the Anthony Nolan charity.

The venue of Ghillie Dhu, on Rutland Street, is perfect for such an event, as the dramatic Georgian Hall looks spooky even on the finest of days, nevermind on the scariest night of the year.

If you’re looking for a more placid Halloween but still need your fix of fun, this could be the event for you. With a Ceilidh, a raffle, prosecco and delicious food all included in a £28 ticket, it looks set to be an entertaining night.

And if you’re wondering where the fear-factor is in all of this then don’t worry! Dress code is ‘black tie with a hint of spooky’ and there will be the opportunity for some frightful face painting on the night.

1. Samhuinn Fire Festival

If you’re more interested in the actual meaning of Halloween, and less so in dressing up like a witch and getting a bit drunk then Samhuinn Fire Festival is a great alternative.

The procession of music, lights, drumming, acrobats and fire-dancing is set to commence at 9pm, beginning at the top of the Royal Mile on the 31st, making its way down the prestigious street and finishing at West Parliament Square.

This incredible display celebrates the Celtic New Year, as the summer battles the Winter Kings to take over and welcome the new season.

image: Pexels via Piaxabay