Following Paris, Scotland Yard urgently reviews terrorism tactics

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, Metropolitan Police commissioner, has announced that all tactics against terrorist attacks will be reviewed following the Paris attacks.

The second terrorist attack in Paris in less than a year has exposed the weaknesses in EU security. France’s protective measures, believed to be much tougher than Britain’s, were not capable to protect the French capital and its people.

Taking into consideration the terrorist attacks in Paris, Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said: “We have developed appropriate tactics to deal with a firearms attack in London, but we will, of course, urgently review our approach”.

Assistant commissioner Mark Rowley, the country’s top counter-terrorism officer, added that: “people may notice some changes at events at big cities across the country”.

British police will patrol streets unarmed as always, but accompanied by specialist armed units. Military and top counter-terrorism officials may also join them. Scotland Yard are particularly wary of disguised armed attackers.

Commissioner Hogan-Howe stated that people should be “alert, not alarmed”. He added that there is no need to stay at home in fear, for protective measures are constantly being renewed and perfected.

“The public can be reassured that our firearms officers are trained to deal with this kind of incident and we are constantly evolving new ways to combat the threats to public safety.”

Earlier this year, the police in London practised their response to mock marauding gun attacks in the centre of the capital, following the January attacks on the French satirical magazine, Charlie Hebdo, offices.

In view of the increasing threat posed by Isis and other terrorist groups, all eyes are set upon Scotland Yard’s new forces-style unit, especially trained to counteract terrorism.

The unit consists of 130 specialist firearms officers, equipped with new weapons and prepared to carry out extreme actions such as fast-roping from helicopters, storming burning buildings to rescue hostages or arresting or shooting terrorist gun attackers to the head instead of to the chest, as the police commonly does.

As the entirety of Europe is under threat and terrorists are able to enter Europe through different countries, Scotland Yard is also arranging to send abroad 60 counter-terrorism officers to protect the British people abroad. 

Police Scotland deputy chief constable Iain Livingstone stressed that “the relationship between the public and the police needs to be stronger than ever”. The police say that they count on communities to report to the police any individuals or behaviours considered concerning. He added that they have “had more reports than ever before over the last year. That needs to continue”.

Police Scotland deputy chief constable Iain Livingstone urged the people in Scotland to remain vigilant.

Prime Minister David Cameron  said: “We will redouble our efforts to wipe out this poisonous, extremist ideology.”

Image: Dave Crosby

+