Grimmy rejects snobbishness with his new compilation

I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking “The only way I’d ever consider taking musical suggestions from Grimmy is if I was kicked in the head by a pony at a village fête and suffered irreparable brain damage. Indeed, his entire career seems to be founded upon self-serving associations with the likes of Harry Styles, a genetic quirk allowing him to produce enamel indefinitely and the (hardly impressive) ability to be thinner and less wilfully obnoxious than Chris Moyles.” You may even survey the artists featured in The Nixtape; Drake, TLC, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc., and conclude that the BBC must be hiding an astronomical funding deficit if it’s willing to release such a comically cynical cash-in. One that amounts to nothing more than randomly selecting popular R&B, hip-hop and club tunes from the past 20 years and slapping the face of a D-list celeb on the front (along with an appealing jumble of bright colours to corner the key Dora the Explorer demographic).

You’re wrong. Grimmy is atoning for your sins. By compiling what he unapologetically terms a playlist of “fun party stuff”, Grimmy offers salvation to every person who forces themselves to listen to Merzbox in its entirety, every person who scoffs self-righteously when they see a 128kbps YouTube rip of ‘Happy’ on someone’s pink iPod Touch, every person who takes it upon themselves to change the music at a flat party to the most obscure Boiler Room set they could find.

Grimmy is sacrificing himself to save every anaemic, snobbish, quasi-intellectual pop-music-iconoclast in the United Kingdom.

The message of The Nixtape is simple: enjoy music for its own sake. Don’t listen to certain music because a given number of people do or do not listen to it, don’t judge others based on their subjective experience of an artist, don’t attempt to validate yourself as an individual by presupposing that you somehow possess a superior ability to appreciate music as an art form. Grimmy, like Jeremy Bentham before him, knows that pleasure is pleasure is pleasure. Those who love Alan Lomax’s ethnographic field recordings of Mississippi chain gangs are no different to those who love The Wiggles, indeed they are united in their love of music. All Grimmy asks in return for this most noble of revelations is £8.49 (+P&P).