hare-and-hounds-online

Hare and Hounds grab gold and silver in the latest University round-up

Edinburgh University Athletics Club had a promising start to the year after competing in the Scottish Universities and Colleges Athletics Freshers’ Match at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow.

Josie Parry came 1st in the Women’s 60m hurdles. Andrea Goodman came 2nd and 3rd in the Women’s 60m and 200m respectively, Ezra Toh came 3rd in both the Men’s 60m and 200m while William King achieved 2nd place in the Men’s 800m. In the Women’s 1500m, Beth Francis and Katie Mackenzie accomplished 2nd and 3rd place. Kirsten Bamford was successful in achieving 3rd place in the Women’s 3K. Finally, Kenya Costa-Dookhan came 2nd in the Women’s long jump, with an impressive result of 5.02m.

The Hare and Hound’s Women’s A team dominated from start to finish at the Scottish XC Relay Championships at Cumbernauld on Saturday. With strong performances on each leg of the race, the Women’s A team brought the squad home with a gold medal, an incredible achievement, with it being their first ever national relay title, having claimed bronze in previous years. The Men’s A team came second overall, rounding out a highly successfully weekend, as they had never won a medal at the National Relay Championships.

There was a major success for Edinburgh University Women’s Lacrosse Club’s 3s this week. The 3s had a great day playing against Dundee 1s on Saturday, with a final score of 27-0. They then went on to continue their successful campaign, by winning 18-2 against Aberdeen 2s on Wednesday. The 3s are now looking like the team to beat for the rest of the season.

Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club 2s and 3s played away in Glasgow this week. The 2s lost 4-2 against Glasgow University. However, the 3s came back triumphant, beating Glasgow Caledonian 3-1.

Saturday was a relatively quiet one for Edinburgh University Netball Club (EUNC) with only two matches to be played. EUNC 3s-5s have entered into the Scottish Conference Cup. EUNC 4s and EUNC 5s had to battle it out against Napier 1s and Aberdeen 1s, respectively, to earn their place in the last 16 of the cup.

EUNC 4s took the win 37-31, but unfortunately, EUNC 5s succumbed 42-32 at full time. EUNC 1s faced EUNC 2s in the BUCS league on Tuesday, for the first time this season. The intense and competitive game ended with EUNC 1s winning 59-21.

Last weekend saw the British Rowing Senior Championships held in Nottingham and the first regatta of the 2016/17 season. Edinburgh University selected 28 athletes to travel to this event, which saw successful Rio Olympians competing against Edinburgh boats.

This was a very successful weekend for Edinburgh University: achieving three under-23 titles, three overall podium places and 2nd place in the overall Victor Ludorum as the top University Club. Edinburgh University Men’s Tennis Club 1s lost 12-0 to Leeds Beckett Men’s 2s, after an early start and a long train journey.

There were victories for Edinburgh University Boat Club this week with a strong 86-66 win for the Men’s 1s against Abertay University on Wednesday.

The Men’s 2s remain undefeated so far this season with a tough win against a strong Napier University team: the final score finishing at 59-52. There was another win for the Men’s 3s as they took on St Andrews with the score ending 66-57. And finally, the Women’s 2s took on Dundee University and finished with a strong score of 72-33.

There was a top of the table clash in BUCS North Premier B, with Edinburgh University Men’s Hockey Club (EUMHC) 1s looking to retain their top spot. With Loughborough 2s going down to 10 players nearing the final minutes of the game, Edinburgh took advantage of their extra man and secured a 3-3 draw.

EUMHC 3s ended with a disappointing score of 9-1 against Strathclyde 1s. EUMHC 4s managed to snatch two late goals to draw 3-3 against Abertay University. And finally, EUMHC 5s sealed a 3-1 victory away against St Andrews 3s.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Hare and Hounds