How To: Stay Warm This Winter

When living in Edinburgh, trying to keep warm in winter takes on a whole  new dimension. Sometimes it is not about what you wear but what you do, and so here is what works when scarves and gloves can no longer keep up with the Scottish temperature.

1. Snack Smartly

Magnesium and vitamin B help the thyroid and adrenal glands regulate the body’s temperature in cold weather, but you do not need to worry about the scientific details and there is no need to go and buy expensive supplements. One banana a day will get you sorted. By the way, bananas can also help you to sleep better, so this healthy snack is ideal just before going to bed as well as to give you a boost during the day.

2. Shiver in the Shower

Believe it or not, cold showers are not only good at fighting hangovers… They also improve blood circulation between skin and organs and strengthen the immune system, so you will not only feel less cold, but can actually enjoy a flu free winter – if you are brave enough to stand the cold that is!

3. Treat Yourself

Make yourself a naughty next level latte by combining a ¼ cup of espresso, ¾ cup of milk, two teaspoons of chocolate spread and a pinch of cinnamon – that will beat away any winter blues. Simply mix milk with Nutella, boil in a small pot, whisk, add espresso and cinnamon – et voilà, dark January mornings just got a bit brighter!

4. Let the Warmth Flow 

Leaving internal doors open is an easy method to circulate the heat in your flat. The warm air circulates between rooms, which will save you a lot of money too – turning on the heating in only one room might be more than enough to keep your entire home warm and cosy.

5. Be Sociable 

Take your old school friends by the hand and escape the cold with a trip to the cinema. If you fancy returning to your childhood days and you read RL Stine’s Goosebumps books as a kid, the spooky story will be brought to life again in cinemas from 5 February – great entertainment guaranteed with Jack Black in the leading role. Visit the Dominion Theatre in Morningside for an extra sumptuous treat, where common seats are replaced with comfy sofas!