Is your skincare really cruelty free?

With so many makeup and skincare brands available on the high street, it is hard to know which ones are truly cruelty free and which ones aren’t.

Many brands claim to be ethical, yet are actually owned by bigger companies that are not; meanwhile others will use ingredients that have been tested on animals even if the final product has not. This makes it harder than you may realise to go completely cruelty free when it comes to cosmetics and skincare.

The new popularity of veganism and increased awareness about cruelty towards animals means there has definitely been a rise in demand for more responsible products, with a simultaneous increase in brands who do not support the use of animals in product development appearing.

Truly ethical makeup and skincare products are made by companies that do not use animals for testing at any part of their creation. Even if some brands do claim to be cruelty free, there are many companies that are owned by a parent company that tests on animals. It is therefore easy to think you are supporting a cruelty free brand, when in actual fact the money that you are spending is still supporting animal testing. For example, NYX, Urban Decay and The Body Shop all do not test on animals themselves, but are owned by the company L’Oreal, who do test on animals. Although buying from these brands is undeniably better, you are still supporting a company that is known to test on animals.

The fact that so many brands are owned by non-cruelty free companies means it is hard to be entirely moral when buying cosmetics. However there are various companies that do pride themselves on being completely ethical. Lush, Bare Minerals, Nars and Real Techniques are key examples of these.

Despite the fact that some brands are owned by non-cruelty free companies, it is still better to buy from them than the alternatives who endorse animal testing.  Choosing products which are advertised as cruelty-free is overall the best decision, in order to help reduce the amount of cruelty free products on our shelves. Every little bit makes a difference, so whilst going cruelty free would be easy in an ideal world, it is evidently harder than it sounds.

Despite this inevitable difficulty, small changes are changes nonetheless; and those changes make a big difference.

image:ElasticComputeFarm