LGBTQ+ History Month: the events taking place across Edinburgh

This LGBTQ+ History Month is a particularly special one as it marks fifty years since the Stonewall Riots in New York. This was one of the fundamental events that was a major catalyst for the gay liberation movement that began in the late 1960s. To celebrate this, and to support the community and their history, we have gathered information about five events taking place in Edinburgh this February.

Finding the LGBTQ Stories in Museums 

This is an exhibition curated by Dan Vo, an ambassador at the V&A museum in London. He has used an array of objects which tell a story in some form about gender and sexuality with a particular focus on queer viewpoints and stories.
Where: Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 1 Queen Street, Edinburgh, EH2 1JD
When: Tue 5 Feb, 12:45 – 13:15

VaRIOTy: Queer Women’s Performance Art 

This is a performing arts-based event, that includes stand-up comedy by Leah Francisco, poetry reading from Harry Josephine Giles, movement performance from Aniela Piasecka and live music by Heir of The Cursed and Courtney Lynn, to celebrate women in the queer community.
Where: The Fruitmarket Gallery, 45 Market St, Edinburgh, EH1 1DF
When: Fri 15 Feb, 18:30 – 21:30

An Evening with Alaska 

Known for her eclectic style and comedy, the winner of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars Season Two is bringing her one-woman drag show to Edinburgh this month.
Where: La Belle Angèle, 11 Hastie’s Close, Edinburgh, EH1 1HJ
When: Tue 19 Feb, 19.00

LGBTQ+ History Month Lecture with Nigerian activist Bisi Alimi 

This is a free, university-led lecture by Bisi Alimi. In 2004, Alimi became the first Nigerian man to come out as gay on live national television. He was persecuted thereafter and had to seek asylum in the UK. He has since become a gay liberation and HIV activist and is coming to Edinburgh to discuss his experiences and hopes for the future, with a question and answer section at the end.
Where: Debating Hall, Teviot Row House, 13 Bristo Pl, Edinburgh EH8 9AJ
When: Wed 13 February, 18:30-20:30

Re-Politicising Pride with NUS UK LGBTQ+ Officer Rob Noon

Rob Noon is an LGBT+ officer for the National Union of Students, who represent and support LGBT+ students around the UK. He’s coming to the University of Edinburgh this month with the aim of re-politicising the Pride movement by looking at it both historically and currently. Along with a few others, Noon will focus particularly on those who have not always been included in LGBT+ histories, such as queer people, trans people, intersex people, and people of colour.
Where: LG.11, David Hume Tower, George Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9JX
When: Mon 18 February, 18:00-19:30

Image: Ludovic Bertron via Wikimedia Commons