Netflix’s Lemony Snicket

The enchanting, dark and humorous story of three little orphans, who are on a runaway from their evil and thievish uncle, is back. This was confirmed two weeks ago, when Netflix and Paramount announced that they were to turn the popular Lemony Snicket book series into an original television show.

Lemony Snicket’s 13-book series, A Series of Unfortunate Events, follows three orphaned siblings Violet, Klaus and Sunny, who have lost their parents in a fire. Since they don’t have any close relatives, the three children are placed in custody of their evil uncle, whose only intention is to steal their inheritance.

The story is brought to life in a uniquely dark and humorous world, which has not only caught the attention of many generations around the world, but also now the giant streaming service, Netflix.

With the release of the TV series, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards, Netflix has transformed from a simple movie rental service to a successful global phenomenon. This transformation – of course – forces Netflix not only to expand their diversity of films, so there is something for everyone, but it also forces them to reach the younger viewers, since they will be the ones watching in the future.

Netflix’s adaption of Lemony Snicket’s book series is an important step in the right direction.

The book series has once before been brought to life in a movie of the same title from 2004. Starring Jim Carrey as the evil – but also quite hilarious – uncle, the movie received good reviews. The only criticisms were that the movie sometimes was too horrific and upsetting to kids, because they saw children being mistreated.

Netflix therefore has a great task ahead of them. Not only do they need to produce a series that presents the gothic and dark world of Lemony Snicket, they also need to be aware of their viewers – the young children – who are the reason for this adaptation. Although it is a challenge, I can’t wait to see what gothic treat Netflix is cooking.