28-film-ouija

Ouija: Origin of Evil

“I went to see Ouija: Origin of Evil last night”, was the remark. “Were you reviewing it or do you just hate yourself?” was the response. The former was the case, but honestly I can understand the confusion. The plot synopsis will be brief, mainly because there is not a whole lot of plot in which to give a synopsis for. A mother and her two daughters, in the wake of her husband’s death, find that their house is possessed by a litany of demons that apparently can’t manifest themselves unless someone buys an officially licenced Hasbro board game. Of course, said board game is bought and, naturally, everything goes less than swimmingly.

The film is drowned in strange directorial choices. The title card is presented in the style of a 60’s B-Movie, which would be kind of cool if the director hadn’t immediately forgotten the aesthetic they originally set up, only to be referenced by occasional instances of vintage looking cue marks intentionally inserted on-screen.

There is a strange sequence around about the halfway mark in which some sort of tar-like demon attempts to enter its host: rather than fulfilling its horrific intentions, in reality it is so over-egged that it functions better as comic relief. In many ways this serves as a metaphor for the film.

The characters are poorly drawn and the performances are lacklustre, it is hard to figure out the motivations of the human characters and harder still to figure out the motivations of the demons. To this end, there are no clear rules for just how and why these paranormal activities take place: it seems that one can jump in and out of the demon world at will, or in other words, when it is convenient for the plot.

All this culminates in an ending which, far more than being poorly presented makes absolutely no sense. A simple read over of the script would have informed the writers that their ending forgets the events that occurred not ten minutes before, rendering the ending nothing more than a nonsensical plot hole.

Overlong, poorly written and completely lacking in coherence: don’t waste your time on this one.

Image: Gabriel Molina; Flickr.com