15178152_1145726932180230_5540945291911311434_n

Ovens strike not enough for EUWAFC 2s

Last week saw history made for Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club 2s as they played their first ever BUCS Trophy match. They entertained Leeds Beckett 2s on a sunny but cold afternoon at Peffermill.
The game started strongly for Edinburgh, who created a lot of early chances. Rachel Thomson hit the post early on after an Amy Gilroy free kick looped over the Leeds Beckett goalkeeper.

Soon after, Edinburgh broke the deadlock with a clean finish by Katie Kennedy after lots of pressure from the home side. The game was end-to-end for long periods, with Leeds Beckett favouring the long ball through to their striker.
A few minutes later, after heavy pressure from the away side, they equalised through a free kick which lofted into the net. Goalkeeper Katharine Grant made some excellent one-on-one saves, but Leeds went 2-1 up after a double save was rebounded in.

Five minutes in to the second half and Edinburgh equalised through an incredible strike from captain Jodie Ovens. She met a diagonal ball with a first touch nutmeg before finishing from 25 yards with a rocket into the top right hand corner. The score was now 2-2.

Julia Warner replaced Gilroy, and there was a break in play due to a Leeds Beckett injury. Soon after, it was the English side who took the lead, with one of their players fouled in the box. Leeds Beckett’s number nine finished the penalty off well, with a strong strike down the middle.

However, the away side increased their lead with a through ball and a cool one-on-one finish. Edinburgh threatened thereafter, but it wasn’t enough to change the game.

An exciting game for the neutral, on a big park which EUWAFC 2s used to their advantage, but it was not enough to confirm their place in the last 16 of the British Trophy. This result means that Leeds Beckett’s 2s will now play Edinburgh’s first team in the last 16 next February.

Player of the match: Jodie Ovens, for a spectacular strike which was one of the best goals EUWAFC has ever seen, and a brilliant all round performance as captain.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club’s Facebook page