Release the Hounds

Run rabbit. Run. With a pack of rabid dogs, tongues lolling and their four legs thundering behind you whilst you emulate that rabbit whizzing around a dog track, running is all you would do. It is safe to say that no one willingly moves slowly in this game.

Release the Hounds draws together three contestants and places them in some unknown forest in Eastern Europe. They have to solve three tasks which gives them access to three chests containing thousands of pounds apiece. The tasks themselves are relatively straightforward but definitely carry entertainment value. One in particular stands out, as it revolved around rats, urine, and a great deal of sucking. Enough said. When the task is done and the key is discovered, the contestants must, in a vaguely Social-Darwinist way, decide who is to collect the money and outrun the dogs to safety.

These dogs take it seriously. There are no fluffy Shih Tzus. Instead, the dogs chosen are the kind you would find locked up in a derelict zoo. Some large men dressed in para-military costumes grip on to them before they let rip. The contestant, with the money in their rucksack, is placed on a track 160 metres in length. The catch, like in all the Saw films, is that each task has a time limit. Each second taken in the task, more and more metres are taken away and your starting point moves closer and closer to the dogs.

At the last gasp the runner is invited to take more money and sacrifice some additional metres. A difficult decision to make. Suffice to say, most understandably play it safe.

If you are looking for an adrenaline -filled hour that will keep you feeling like a dog is creeping up behind you, then this is the show for you. The conversation between the contestants does drag on a bit but usually resolves itself with a degree of humour. This show is high intensity and guaranteed to thrill. It is the ultimate break from any piece of studying and will definitely make you question your dogs intention the next time you sit together.