Show your charitable side this christmas

It’s reached that time of year once again; Christmas lists are being made and the race to get the best Christmas presents on the shelves commences. However, amongst all this madness it’s important to remember that Christmas is about more than presents. There are lots of ways to keep the merry spirits going until Christmas comes, so why not follow some of our suggestions and get involved?!

Before Christmas arrives, we’ve all got to battle through the last hurdle of deadlines and exams. It’s a taxing time for everyone, so maybe surprise your stressed flatmate with a bag of chocolate coins, or better yet, buy each other advent calendars so that you can all look forward to a chocolate treat each day together!

If baking is your thing, you could go one step further and bake some Christmas cookies instead. Leave them out for your flatmates or offer them to your neighbours – no one can resist a baked treat!

And let’s not forget about our families. Send them a Christmas card to let them know that you can’t wait to get home. If you’re feeling really adventurous or you just love to procrastinate, then a handmade card would be a lovely touch.

If you’re looking to contribute to a charity in the most Christmassy way possible, then take part in the Edinburgh Santa Fun Run and Walk, on Sunday 13th December. Go down to West Princes Street Gardens, grab your Santa suit and run, walk, strut, hop or skip this 2.5km circuit. All the money raised goes to When You Wish Upon a Star; a charity raising funds to grant the Wishes of children living with life threatening illnesses. Registration is still open so don’t miss out!

If you’re spending this Christmas in Edinburgh, then maybe you could sacrifice a few hours of your Christmas, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day and volunteer at Crisis which provides up to 400 homeless people with food, activities and general companionship. Everyone deserves good company and good food at Christmas time, so if this interests you register now!

Image: Flickr: <Roel van Deursen>