Society Spotlight: Edinburgh University Student Architecture Society (EUAS)

As the student body for the University’s Department of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, Edinburgh University Student Architecture Society (EUSAS) is aimed at students interested in the field. The society’s president, Anoushka Sivaraman, and secretary, Victoria Meadows, tell us why EUSAS has remained one of the most distinct and long-serving societies at the University.

EUSAS was initially founded for those studying Architecture at the University: “EUSAS has existed for over a decade, maybe even two, and was created for the Architecture students who are now situated in Adam House and Minto House.” Sivaraman asserts that the reason for the society’s longevity is its diversity: “Its popularity stems from a range of events intended to create a strong, vibrant student community, bridging the gaps between all age groups of the school, from undergraduate to postgraduate students.” EUSAS has, in recent years, surged in popularity: “We have grown to a sizeable group of 300 students.”

However, the society also connects architects outside the University: “In recent years, networks have expanded beyond the architecture pool of Edinburgh, and successful joint events with the University of Glasgow and RGU [Robert Gordon University] have taken place. The society hopes to enhance these connections and host more events in Edinburgh.”

EUSAS changes its teaching curriculum each year, “however, this year our focus was on the lecture series. We hold Friday lectures in Adam House with a range of talks”. The lectures aim to help students become more confident in understanding their course. EUSAS also boasts a range of social activities: “We have proudly taken part in an annually organised ski trip and ball. The ball will be held at the National Museum of Scotland, and is open to anyone.” The society also has its own football team, which “you can join if you’ve got unbelievable tekkers!”

EUSAS is unique in that it prides itself in being distinct from many other EUSA societies. It is self-funded, and also has its own website to promote its individuality. Both Sivaraman and Meadows are extremely thankful for the growing presence of EUSAS: “We take pride in our exhibitions and lectures that aim to enhance the experiences at Edinburgh, but we also like to create a diverse community to branch out on our other interests as individuals.”

Image: Edinburgh University Student Architecture Society