Stress-free and mess-free meals in a mug: Chocolate & Marshmallow Cake

We have almost made it. The end of semester one is in sight. Despite the bleak weather and the approaching exams, making it this far is a cause to celebrate. To reward ourselves, this week we are replacing one of our ‘meal’ recipes with instructions on how to make a quick and delicious chocolate cake with a twist. This week we have whipped up an easy mug cake recipe you will not be able to resist. So what are you waiting for? The return of summer weather? Unfortunately it is November in Scotland, but this mug cake is sure to make the day seem brighter. So get baking and reward yourself for making it to at least half of those 9ams. And hey, cake has other benefits too: the sugar rush is sure to help with revision right?

Ingredients: 1 egg, 1 tablespoon self-raising flour, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 25g (1 oz) milk chocolate, chopped, 2 teaspoons light brown sugar, 3 tablespoons (40g) softened unsalted butter (the softer it is before you start, the easier it’ll be to mix), 5 marshmallows

Beat the egg in a mug and add the butter, flour, cocoa powder, and sugar. Beat them together until the mixture is smooth. Next, microwave on High (full power) for 45 seconds. Chop four of the marshmallows into quarters and add these quarters and the chopped chocolate to the mug. Stir gently to mix everything together. Finally, place the final marshmallow on top of the mixture and microwave on full power again until the whole marshmallow has melted over the cake (approx. one minute).

Tah-dah. An effortless wee cake that takes minutes to create and makes the holidays seem bearably within reach. If you are feeling generous you could even make a couple more mugs for flatmates or friends and cement those friendships for life.

Photo Credit: Sandra Mahut