String of indecent assaults in New Town area

A man has indecently assaulted two women and verbally abused a third in a string of incidents in the New Town area of Edinburgh.

The incidents took place on the morning of Friday October 6, in broad daylight on North West Circus Place, in the Stockbridge area of the city. The first occurred at 8:35am and the second, only ten minutes later at 8:45am.

According to police, the man first approached and inappropriately touched a twenty six year old woman on her way to work. Then, at 8:45am he approached a second woman who was pushing a buggy and also touched her indecently.

The same man was also seen approaching a man and woman nearby. After becoming engaged in a verbal altercation, he made sexually explicit remarks.

The suspect is described as white, of medium build, about five feet nine inches tall, and approximately thirty years old. The man has dark hair and is said to possibly also have a goatee beard. He was wearing a black jacket with a small white logo on the chest, dark jeans and white footwear.

Police Scotland’s Detective Inspector, Jacqui Cotterell, of the Edinburgh Public Protection Unit said: “While none of these women were physically injured, they were all left very upset by the suspect’s actions and we’re pursuing a number of lines of inquiry to trace this man”.

He urged members of the public who may have seen anything suspicious on North West Circus Place that morning to get in touch.

He added: “We believe the same individual may also have approached other women in the area and would urge anyone who wishes to report similar offences to contact police immediately.”

Those with information can contact the PPU via 101 and quote incident numbers 780 and 840 of the 6th October. Alternatively, an anonymous report can be made through the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Image: Tim Edgeler via Flickr

+