Strong showing from Edinburgh sailors despite calm seas

Forecasted for low winds all weekend and not much hope for sailing, three Edinburgh teams headed to Bardowie Loch for the first of 3 Scottish Student Sailing League weekends. Surprising to most, the wind kept and provided some very good team races.

To start the league the three Edinburgh teams were pooled against three Dundee teams to separate into the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Super-Gold leagues. Three boats per team versus three boats from the opposing team; the aim is to get the lowest combination number. Any combination below ten is a win, score above ten and it will result in a loss. For the Edinburgh teams, A, B and C provided some very tough and tactical racing against each other, but the remainder races against Dundee’s A, B and C team were convincing victories, all with strong combinations.

The first pool stages were completed and playoffs for the leagues were ready to begin. As it stood our pool: Edinburgh A win with five wins from five races, Edinburgh B 2nd with four wins, Edinburgh C 3rd with three wins with only loses only to the other

Edinburgh teams. Our A team were placed straight into the Super-Gold league, C team were placed straight into Gold league, and B team were to compete in the playoffs against Strathclyde C and Glasgow A for one of the two remaining places in the Super-Gold league.

First Strathclyde and Glasgow raced with a win for Glasgow. Next Edinburgh B’s raced Glasgow losing in a narrow race, which resulted 1-2-5 for Glasgow. With Glasgow through it was all to play for against Strathclyde C for the final spot in the top league.

End of day one, all our teams had done extremely well, with our A team top of the Super Gold league, yet to lose a race.

Sunday morning, racing was postponed and we all played the waiting for the wind game. Finally the committee decided that one gust of wind coming through was enough to send the sailors out and try to get some races done.

Only one race was sailed which was between Edinburgh B and Glasgow A. With barely enough wind to get any of the boats moving forward, it was a very tense match with Glasgow winning the race on boat speed in very light conditions with a 1-2-4 combination.

After that race the boats were brought in and packed and the day was concluded. Sitting atop the pools were Edinburgh A, Strathclyde B and Glasgow C, so success in one form or another for all three sides and a very encouraging performance in tricky conditions. Fingers crossed for more favourable winds when the sides visit Edinburgh in January.

A strong start and a drop in the wind meant positions were well kept during the race and Edinburgh B won in a strong 1-2-3 to make it into the Super-Gold league.

Knowing that the wind was scheduled to drop off largely on Sunday races were resumed until there was barely any sun left and the races concluded with Edinburgh A racing Strathclyde B for an extremely close 1-4-5 victory.