13-lifestyle-apps

Study Apps: what can you use to enhance your work ethic?

My high school was listed as one of the most difficult in the US, due to the sheer number of exams we were exposed to every semester, and I am sure everyone has gone through a similarly intense experience. However, the plus side of this crime against childhood is my tried-and-tested system to utilise the best apps on the market to get the most out of my studying. With exams just around the corner, here are four apps to help you succeed.

GOOGLE CALENDAR

For scheduling, I highly recommend Google Calendar. This app can perfectly negotiate your time by taking your schedule from your emails and finding the best time for regularly reoccurring activities you want to do. This ‘goal’ feature is perfectly paired with ‘reminders’, which can be linked to notes or emails to schedule things you need to complete, such as creating a particular study guide or calling your mum. You can choose whichever day is appropriate for you, but if you don’t check them off they will accumulate until you either ‘snooze’ them or complete them, which is a satisfying incentive to work.

FLAT TOMATO

One of the hardest but most important aspects of studying is focus. I recommend using the widely acclaimed Pomodoro Method, which breaks up your studying into units; 25 minutes of work followed by a five minute break with longer breaks for a customisable cycle. I prefer the simple timer app Flat Tomato because of its simple but clear layout and adjustable times and sound effects. It also allows you to log distractions and total amounts of time you’ve spent studying particular subjects, so you can view your trends over time.

BRAINSCAPE

Brainscape is a ‘smart’ flashcard app. Instead of marking whether you got a question right or wrong after an answer is revealed you rate how confident you felt answering it. Subsequently, how often the question reappears is adjusted each time to reflect this. It is a simple layout with all of the bells and whistles including pre-made and shareable decks of flashcards, customised decks with pictures and sound effects, and study reminders.

GOOGLE KEEP

Not to over-promote Google, but they consistently make well-integrated, quality applications. Google Keep allows you to store your notes on any devices and online, colour-code them, organise them by tag, link them to study reminders, share them and view them in a cute sticky-note-esc format. This is also a handy place to organize your to-do lists, general reminders and study schedules.

[Image: Pixabay @ AJEL]