Successful EDex event programme offers opportunities for all

Trying to find a way to stick to those New Year’s resolutions and keep fit? Wanting to expand your university experience? Get involved with EDex this term, and let your experiences run wild whilst trying a new sport every week.

After a very successful start to the EDex programme in Semester One, we are thrilled to continue the ongoing success with our exciting Refreshers EDex. Over the course of the first term we have introduced 500 students to new sports in 21 different events run by our clubs. Our events ranged from Mountain Biking to Hot Yoga and even Synchronized Swimming – there is something for everyone.

We are excited to see these numbers grow with new events planned for the rest of the academic year. Refreshers EDex is a fantastic way to kick off the term and get involved in a new sport- whether it ‘s to give it a go or to become a member of the club.

These events are also run for a good cause. Since the beginning of the academic year, EUSU has been supporting Macmillan Cancer Support, a charity that improves the lives of people affected by cancer. They provide practical, medical, emotional and financial support and push for better cancer care.

EDex events have raised a fantastic £200 in the process through the generous contribution of our students.

So get involved in our Refreshers EDex Events in the coming weeks:

Shukokai Karate: Wednesday, 21st January 

Edinburgh University Shukokai Karate Club present a 2 hour workshop to understand real violence, reasonable force, and to learn the physical skills you need to protect yourself, your friends and your family. Come along to learn simple and effective tools for avoiding or resolving physical conflict, all within a friendly environment. St Leonard’s Land Gym 4, Wednesday 21st January 17.30 – 19.30

Orienteering: Wednesday, 21st January: 

Edinburgh University Orienteering Club (EUOC) would like to invite you to our EDex event on Wednesday 21st January at 2:30pm, meeting at Pollock Halls Reception Centre. The event is open to anyone who wants to try Orienteering, whether you have done it before or not. EUOC is one of the largest University Orienteering clubs in the UK, and caters for all abilities.

Orienteering is a fun and challenging sport, combining cross-country running with reading a specially drawn map. The map lays out a course consisting of a number of control points which the competitor must go to in

order to complete the race. Events are timed with the fastest person to go to all of the right control points winning.

The EDex event will introduce the different elements of Orienteering to you, so why not come on down? We hope you can attend and look forward to seeing you soon.

Korfball: Thursday, 22nd January 

Never heard of korfball? Don’t worry, neither has anyone else, which is what makes EDex perfect for beginners. Learn the basic rules, shooting technique, ball handling and strategy before having a go at a game that’s fresh, fast and fun.

EUKC is the oldest and largest korfball club in Scotland, with members making up a hefty portion of the national squad and (let’s be honest) hosting the best socials in the country – either during our annual international tournament (which is taking place on 24th and 25th January – an excellent opportunity to try out the skills you pick up at the EdEx event) or every few weeks with many weird and wonderful activities that keep korfers coming back for more. So give it a go and try something different!

Mountain Biking: Saturday, 21st February 

It’s that time again for the cycling club to descend on Glentress and rip the trails. The main aspect of the EDex trip is to try an all-inclusive day of mountain biking with ‘no strings attached’, and experience the world class mountain bike trails of Glentress!

The trip will run on the 21st February during Innovative Learning Week. Price per person sits at £25, which is a bargain for a quality day’s riding and includes: bike and helmet hire, transport to and from Glentress, lunch and guided trail coaching.

For those of you who have your own bikes, there is a £10 option which

includes everything bar bike and helmet hire! We will be able to transport your bikes to Glentress.

Last year’s trip was a mega success and needs to be topped! Emphasis is on socialising and experiencing the cracking riding we have on our doorstep! This trip is limited to 12 spaces so it is first come first serve.

Cricket: Wednesday, 21st and Friday, 23rd January 

The Edinburgh University Cricket club is the most successful club in Scotland and for the first time has expanded its men’s club into four teams. This means we are in need of players of any and all abilities. We are also always on the lookout for new female players, and again no experience or equipment is required.

The session for men is Wednesday 18.00-20.00 at St Leonard’s Land and for ladies it is 20.00-21.30 on Friday at the same venue. Hope to see some new faces then.

Curling: Date TBC 

The Edinburgh University Curling Club prides itself in being a diverse

club, with players of all ability levels. Our club consists of friendly faced students who gather on Wednesday afternoons to train and play in relaxed matches against each other.

After Great Britain’s success in the Sochi Winter Olympics last year, curling has become a more recognised sport, and we strive to keep its popularity growing. The EdEx event that we have planned gives students who may or may not have curled before the opportunity to come along and give it a go. For those of you who don’t know how curling works – all the more reason to come along and broaden your horizons.

All equipment will be provided on the day, all you need is a pair of trainers and stretchy bottoms. Hope to see as many of you there as possible, it’s shaping up to be a good event.

The Sports Union has more events planned for the rest of the term including Kickboxing and Canoeing. To find out more please check our website for regular updates on new events: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/sports-union/edex/events

For more information please email: eusu.vicepresident@ed.ac.uk