Survival guide to the EUSSC ski trip

ByLaura Hendry

Dec 20, 2017

What better way to avoid the January blues than heading to the Alps with 1,000 Edinburgh students for a week of skiing, boarding, partying and world-class après? This year the EUSSC ski trip is heading to Val Thorens in the Three Valleys: the highest resort in Europe and the largest ski area in the world. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a novice to the snowsports world, for those of you lucky enough to snag a place on the trip, we’ve compiled our top tips to help you survive the seven days (and nights) of non-stop action.

Don’t forget to pack the essentials (ski socks, gloves, jacket, helmet, goggles), but most importantly, remember your fancy dress. With huge night-time events, such as Cirque du Soul, Theo Kottis taking Fly to the Alps and a retro day for the Valley Ralley, only the most outrageous outfits will do.

First things first, before you get to the snow, there’s the small matter of the bus journey to conquer. Bring along a pillow from home, pick out your favourite DVDs and settle in for a 30 hour ride… Don’t forget to take plenty of snacks (a swig of Baileys doesn’t go amiss either) and before you know it, you’ll be in France. Stock up on plenty of pasta and enough booze to last for the week on the supermarket shop at the bottom of the mountain: it’s miles cheaper than in the resort, so rest assured you’ll get through it all.

Once you arrive, don’t expect to be staying in a five-star hotel either. Accommodation is pretty basic and you’ll be lucky if there’s even WiFi – but who needs the Internet when you’ve got the Alps for your playground? If skiing is to be done before midday, an early start is recommended (preferably whilst still tipsy), thus making the task of getting up and out on the slopes a far less painful process than when suffering from the wrath of a monster hangover (you can definitely blame the altitude for this one. It’s a thing, okay?). Alternatively, have a ‘Verocca’ © – an essential morning cocktail of vodka and berocca. You’ll be right as rain in no time. Finally, remember: sleep is for the weak. There’s plenty of time for that on the bus journey home!

image: flyupmike via pixabay