Ten essentials to make winter more bearable

With temperatures finally dropping down to single figures, and the sky turning black before 6pm, it’s pretty unarguable that winter has well and truly hit Edinburgh. It’s cold, it’s dreary, and getting out of bed only gets harder every day, but by investing in these top ten winter essentials you can make winter that little bit more bearable.

1.Flask

Unless you got lucky with the timing of your lectures, too many of us have to brave the early morning starts.  When not even the sun is up, it’s pretty hard to motivate yourself, and it’s much more preferable to keep yourself in bed for as long as possible. But boiling the kettle, filling a flask and walking out the door takes no time at all.

2.Good moisturiser

When the cold wind hit, it’s your face that takes most of the battering. Whilst your hands and body can be protected with layers of clothing, your face has no such luxury. So it’s particularly important for both men & women to give it some protection of its own in the form of a moisturiser. I recommend Olay Complete 3in1 Moisturiser Day Cream SPF15 sensitive 50ml (£9.99 at Boots) to keep your skin soft and sustained.

3.Magic Gloves

If you don’t know about magic gloves then you’re missing out. They’re full-fingered and just as snug as regular gloves, but with the added bonus of still allowing you to use touch-screen phones. Readily available on Amazon for low prices, once you wear magic gloves you’ll never go back.

4.Soup Maker

Soup is another vitality when the winter comes around. Sure, it’s easy enough to buy in supermarket, but most people don’t realise how easy it is to make their own soup, and how much cheaper it is. All you need is some vegetables and a hand blender. Argos sell one for just £4 and with all the portions you could get out of this, there’s no excuse not to have one.

5.Hot chocolate

After late afternoon lectures when you’ve walked home in the evening chill and you can barely feel your face, never mind your fingers what could be better than boiling the kettle and making a hot chocolate to cheer yourself up. Take a trip down to Whittard on Prince’s Street to purchase some especially luxurious hot chocolate flavours such as salted caramel, crème brulee and rocky road.

6.Sturdy Boots

The certainty of hills combined with the possibility of ice makes a pair of boots with good grip crucial for wintertime in Edinburgh. JD Williams sell Cushioned Walking Winter Boots for just £14 if you’re looking for a cheap option, otherwise just head down to Prince’s Street and every other shop will have something on offer for you.

7.Scented Candles/Diffusers

Who doesn’t love a comforting, Christmassy smell to fill their room as winter kicks in? It can really help to create the right kind of atmosphere – one of cosiness and warmth rather than bitter coldness. By this time of the year most companies have their signature winter scents out, both in candles and diffusers, ranging from The White Company’s ‘Winter’ scent, to Asda’s own ‘Winter Berries’.

8.Body Lotion

The cold weather can do more than make you feel down in the dumps. It’s not good for your body either, making your skin dry and cracked. A solution to this is using products like Dove Limited Edition Winter Care Nourishing Body Lotion (£3.99 at Boots), to keep you feeling moisturised all day long  (and it smells glorious too!)

9.Hot Water Bottle

Hot water bottles must be one of the most undervalued objects out there, but they’re an absolute necessity this season. Use them to warm your bed before you get in or even just to hug throughout a chilly evening.

10.Fairy Lights

Because as much as winter can be gloomy and grey, the one good thing that has to be remembered is that with winter comes Christmas – and that has to be enough to cheer anyone up. So buy yourself some cute decorations or lights to drape around your room as a reminder that there is a (fairy) light at the end of this wintry tunnel.

Image: Flickr: <SarahDuMay>