• Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

Tennis club have smashing success in this week’s round-up

ByJulia Stenhouse

The Edinburgh University Tennis Club men’s 2s sealed the deal as Scottish 1A champions by finishing the year unbeaten. For a 2nd team to be dominating a top Scottish tier is a fabulous achievement.

Both the Edinburgh University Shotokan and Shukokai Karate Clubs competed in BUCS events. In Shukokai, Denisa Gombalova won the first gold medal for Edinburgh. In the male all-Edinburgh final, Taylor Mckillop won gold and Christopher Long won silver. In the senior category Jay Hogg won gold. Another Edinburgh final saw Chloe Maclean achieving gold and Gombalova wining silver. Iona Frost picked up gold in her category to help secure first overall place.

Edinburgh University Badminton Club’s Premier Ladies failed to make it through to the next round of the BUCS Championship, with a 6-2 defeat against the University of Nottingham. EUBC 4s claimed a victory against the University of Aberdeen 2s with a 12-0 win.

The Edinburgh University Hare and Hounds Club competed in the Scottish XC Championships. In the women’s race, Edinburgh won the 2nd place team medal, while Euan Gillham finished 2nd in the men’s U20 race, ensuring a finish in the top 10 in the senior ranks for both.

The Edinburgh University Boat Club competed in the first BUCS competition of 2017. The men’s first eight won the Championship event. Edinburgh also won the Championship coxed fours as well as the Championship quad, placing 2nd. Within the women’s categories, the first eight finished in 2nd place in the Championship event. The Championship coxless four and quad won a silver medal, and the women’s second eight came 3rd in the intermediate eights.

The Edinburgh University Fencing Club women’s and men’s 1s took part in the BUCS Championship Cup quarter-finals. The men’s team defeated the University of Bath 1s, 128-106, whilst the women’s team won against the University of Surrey 1s, 176-76.

The University of Edinburgh Archery Club took part in the Scottish Student Sport Indoor finals. EUAC won the Novice as well as the Senior league. Within the Senior league, the Recurve Gents won gold, whilst the Recurve Ladies won gold and a joint silver/bronze. Edinburgh also finished 1st in the Compound Gents category. EUAC picked up gold in both men and women’s Longbow events. Within the Novice league, a gold and a silver was won in the Recurve Gents.

The Edinburgh University Equestrian 4s beat the University of Aberdeen 2s and the University of Strathclyde 2s to take home the team win. Two Edinburgh riders took home individual 1st and 3rd place.

The Scottish Student Sport Grand Prix series ended on a high for Edinburgh University Rifle Club. The A and B teams took 1st and 2nd place. In the A pairs event, Edinburgh secured an impressive 1st place. In the individual A class, Edinburgh finished 2nd, 3rd and 5th, whilst in the B class, Edinburgh also took 1st and 2nd place. Callum Quinn gained his second consecutive SSS win in the novice category.

Edinburgh University Athletics Club travelled down to Sheffield to compete in the BUCS Nationals competition, the final event in the club’s indoor season that saw multiple seasons and personal bests.

Edinburgh University Orienteering Club took part in the Scottish Night and Sprint Championships. In the Night Championships, Jack Leitch won the M20 category. In the women’s race, Klará Novotná finished 2nd, Sarah Jones finished 2nd in W21 and Jenny Ricketts placed 2nd in W20. In the Sprint Championship, EUOC men dominated course one. Ricketts secured her W20 category title, whilst Alistair Masson won the M20 category and the Men’s Open category.

Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club made history as the first women’s 1s team to have played in a BUCS Trophy semi-final match. Despite facing a strong University of Stirling 1s side, EUWAFC found themselves just 1-0 behind with 15 minutes to go. Unfortunately, EUWAFC couldn’t quite find the win and the match ended in a 2-0 defeat.

The Motor Sports club had their first testing session in over a year, following a break in that saw their go-kart stolen, which was reported as one of the fastest they have ever driven. This gives the club confidence to compete in larger, national events.

Image courtesy of Edinburgh University Tennis Club