The Bread Review

Upon first unsheathing the baton it appeared underwhelmingly spongy, bendy, almost plastic. This is the nature of half baked bread… Weird! Is it dough?

No. Is it bread? Not quite.

But ten minutes in the oven later and it had fluffed up nicely. The delightfully crispy exterior shell firmly encapsulates the quivering doughy flesh. As one gives way to the other it is easy to let yourself be overcome by extreme oral pleasure. The crust is liberally sprinkled with flour which serves to accentuate its outer dryness, it cracks and flakes like a riverbed in drought. This is no bad thing, as it is exquisitely juxtaposed with the moist, warm, and bouncy interior.

This bread makes an ideal companion to soup, perhaps with butter or your vegan alternative of choice. It does lack the utmost density of the best ciabatta and for that reason it just misses out on a very high score.

Verdict: 7/10. Good bread!

Hovis Wholemeal

Thick Sliced Loaf

This Hovis Wholemeal thick sliced turned out to be a rather good mid-range wholemeal loaf.

Although it lacked the moisture of a more high end loaf it has a excellent crust – with just the right amount of fight – and the very pleasant bran-y flavour that sets out all the best wholemeal breads. Bought in Tesco for the extremely competitive price of just one pound, this bread certainly represents good value as well. With a little vegan spread this was a very nice way to start the day.

Verdict: 6/10. Good value, good crust but a tad dry.