The Devil’s Whore

As a lover of historical fiction and a big fan of binge-watching old series, The Devil’s Whore is definitely an easy go-to program for essay procrastination this essay season. The show is now back from the shadows of 2008 and available on 4oD once again, giving you the ultimate excuse to waste a few hours at the library before it disappears again. Featuring pretty big names and set in a 17th century context, you might actually feel like you’re doing something valuable with your time.

As I mentioned before, the show is a historical fiction series set in the time of Charles I and is full of soap-opera style drama with the feeling of watching something very academic. It is a genuinely interesting take on the time period, infusing the problems we could see in our modern times (mostly in the form of relationship issues; romantic, familial, platonic, etc.) into the realm of the 17th century, giving the viewer an interesting glimpse into the time period in a much more simple manner. When it was originally broadcast it was quite widely watched as well, and created a strong following, so it makes sense that viewers only six years later will get just as enthralled. Now, it’s worth mentioning that this isn’t the best television series you will ever witness. The story line isn’t the most creative and the entire acting cast is not necessarily superb.You might feel yourself having the occasional cringe at a poorly done scene. That being said though, it still brings you the delight and nostalgia you’ll want from watching an old TV series whilst at the same time avoiding the real, pressing matters in your life.

Although it is not the highest quality viewing you will ever experience in your life, The Devil’s Whore is a pretty nice program to distract you from the midterm essay blues. It brings you the needed drama that is enticing enough to keep you distracted from start to finish, plus gives you an always welcome opportunity to watch Peter Capaldi and Michael Fassbender at work.