• Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

The events across Edinburgh to get you in the spooky mood

ByIva Belamaric

Watching horror movies, costume parties, lighting bonfires, playing pranks, visiting haunted attractions, and trick-or-treating are just a few activities that are staples in the Halloween season. However, there are options happening in Scotland’s capital that can add little more flavour to your celebration this year. Here are some events that Edinburgh has to offer on one of the most thrilling nights of the year.

Samhuinn Fire Festival

Marking the transition from summer to winter, the Samhuinn Fire Festival takes place on top of Calton Hill and is filled with drumming, bonfires and dance. Taking place between 7pm-11pm, it not only focuses on this seasonal transition but the personal development that takes place during this changing of the seasons.

Halloween Underground Tour

For some Halloween fun during the day, the Halloween Underground Tour takes you on an exploration of underground vaults and ghostly hauntings. Starting on Mercat Cross, the tours begin at 1pm and take place at several times throughout the day, ending at 8pm. With even the tour guide in costume, it is an immersive experience that, for those with kids, is a great family activity.

Frankomime’s Monster

Organised by Edinburgh Horror Festival, Frankomime’s Monster is an adults-only pantomime celebrating the classic Gothic thriller Frankenstein. Happening from now until Halloween, head down to the Banshee Labyrinth from 9:30pm for a show full of laughs and hilarious musical numbers.

Glamour and the Baybes

One of the UK’s most energetic funk bands, Glamour and the Baybes’ concert is definitely not to be missed. The band will be entertaining the crowd in Sneaky Pete’s on Halloween from 7pm to 10pm.

The Golf Tavern’s ‘The Big Fat Scary Quiz’

Take part in this terrifying quiz to test all your Halloween knowledge. Order some nachos and keep your eyes on the £150 prize. Book your place beforehand and head over for a fun, Halloween night or for a warm-up activity for your later Halloween jaunts.

Image: (valanzola.t via flickr)