The Student’s guide to grooming products

As Game of Thrones predicted, Winter is coming. This is the time of year that can be tough on sensitive skin, encouraging eczema to flare up and skin to dry or crack. With the darker days looming and exam season beckoning, there is less motivation to put effort into your appearance even though it can do wonders for being satisfied in your own body. The Student has created a comprehensive guide to grooming products based on the writer’s personal experience of using them, covering everything from skincare to getting ultimate shape in your hairstyle.

VO5 Rework Putty 150ml: The ultimate concoction to form the hairstyle you want, this rework putty is strong and suits a variety of styles. You can run it throughout your hair if you want to give it a messy, fuller appearance. Alternatively, you can zone in on your fringe and give it a stand-out look before applying a finishing layer of hairspray. However you use it, you can use a minimal amount at a time, meaning that one tub lasts for an age and is great value for money.

VO5 Wet Look Styling Gel 200ml: For a different aesthetic, go for a slick finish with another VO5 product, their wet look gel. This gel can make your look a shade or so darker, so if that’s your aim then this is definitely one to consider. You can either gel your hair back like Clark Kent in Superman or if you prefer short or medium hair work each section from root to end and achieve a spikey finish. A quick finish of spray is also recommended, especially if you are applying it to damp hair.

Schwarzkopf got2b Glued Blasting Freeze Spray 300ml: Speaking of spray, there are lots of different kinds out there but you need look no further than this. It does exactly what it says on the bright yellow tin, locking your hair into place with just a few blasts for an unbelievably secure hold, keeping whatever your style is easily in its shape. The best way to apply this is not in a continuous spray, but in short bursts that cover the areas you need it to. This also helps it to last longer – go too generous and you will be forking out for this more often than you want to be.

Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash 150ml: Especially if you are prone to dry or sensitive skin, this is the ultimate face wash to have. Bulldog is a brilliant brand for skincare generally, helped by the fact that you can use pea-sized amounts each time and it is always enough to do the job. The fact that they have a sensitive skin variant is even better and provides a brilliant clean while not further damaging or irritating your skin. Even better, it is not tested on animals. A good honest face wash has never been so achievable.

NIVEA Daily Essentials Rich Moisturising Day Cream 50ml: Whether you go for the regular cream or the sensitive skin version which has specific ingredients to nourish the skin, this is a handy little thing to carry around with you during the day. In harsh weather, it is very easy for skin to get damaged over time. This cream is one of the best for repairing your skin and toughening it against further damage. It also hydrates it and prevents the skin feeling dry or coarse. It’s a small tube but will last for a very long time. Dry skin will fall by the wayside very quickly with regular use.

Image Credit: Kaz via Pixabay