The Tab humbled and humiliated by The Student

Bragging rights once again went to The Student this Saturday after its footballers inflicted a 4-0 thrashing on a limp and lacklustre Tab Edinburgh side.

Early on, the Stevensons showed their dominance. A slick combination of passes through the midfield set Stevensons veteran Tom Kinney free past the Tab defence. After an incredible first touch, the Liverpudlian striker finished convincingly, dinking the ball over the on-rushing goalkeeper; resulting comparisons to Kenny Dalglish were to be expected.

A few minutes later, the Stevensons struck again. Charles Nurick effortlessly glided past the opponent’s midfield before being hacked down just outside the box. The Tab’s goalkeeper could only watch as the resulting free-kick, taken by Stevensons captain Gurjot Thind, took a wicked deflection and sailed past his outstretched hand. The dubious goals panel awarded the goal to Thind.

The Tab’s misery was further compounded just before half-time, when left-winger Patrick O’Sullivan fought well to beat his marker, tapping the ball into the gaping goal. As the teams tucked into some half-time oranges, it seemed the result was already secured for the Stevensons.

In the second half, the Tab started brightly, piling pressure on the Stevenson goal in an attempt to get on the score sheet. However, the Stevensons remained firm and defended well. Goalkeeper Alex Shaw proved his mettle, making a number of incredible saves to keep hold of a clean sheet; a true panther in between the sticks.

In the dying embers of the game, Greg Lane’s bulldog-like approach paid dividends. A well-worked ball in from the right found the centre-midfielder one-on-one with the Tab goalkeeper. Composed as ever, Lane slotted the ball home, securing a victory for the Stevensons and rubbing salt into the Tab’s already gaping wounds.

The game ended on a controversial note, as the referee brandished a yellow card to Stevensons striker Patrick Ziolkowski for simulation. Despite the defenders admittance to bringing down the goal-bound attacker, the referee stuck by his original decision. Video replays showed clear contact between the striker and the helpless defender.

The final whistle was met with jubilant scenes. This 4-0 demolition was the Stevensons’ second win of the season, having already convincingly beaten FreshAir Radio three weeks earlier. After collecting his Man of the Match award, goalkeeper Shaw spoke of his delight, commenting: “I haven’t seen a humbling that bad since Murdoch at the Leveson inquiry.”