Ultimate Frisbee making noise in this week’s sports round-up

This weekend saw Edinburgh University Ultimate Frisbee Club (Ro Sham Bo) play in the first of the fun beginner tournaments taking place at The University of Stirling. It was a successful weekend, with Edinburgh’s four mixed teams finishing 17th, 16th, 15th and 4th out of 24 teams, while Ro Sham 3s also won the spirit prize for the event.  

It was a disappointing week, however, for Edinburgh University Men’s Hockey Club, with the 1s drawing 1-1 against Loughborough University 2s. This week also saw the 6s’ BUCS debut against University of Glasgow 3s, although they succumbed to a 6-2 defeat. 

Edinburgh University Women’s Lacrosse Club (EUWLC) 1s also had a tough game against last year’s BUCS champions, Durham University, losing 12-5. The EUWLC 2s played excellently against University of Aberdeen 1s to come away with a 14-13 win, scoring the winning goal in the last few minutes. Meanwhile, the 3s won against University of Glasgow 2s with the final score being 11-10. 

Elsewhere, a crushing 5-0 clean sweep versus Deer Park for a very strong Edinburgh University Squash Club men’s 2s team bodes well for the rest of the season. 

Edinburgh University Men’s Rugby Football Club 1s managed to fight back from a 12-7 half-time deficit at home to Loughborough 2s, and came away with a hard fought 21-19 win. 

It was a big week for Edinburgh University Basketball Club (EUBC) as five out of six teams took to the court last Wednesday. The women’s 1s started their BUCS Premier season with an away 83-79 win against Durham 1s. EUBC Women’s 2s, continued their winning streak from last week’s win, to beat University of St Andrews 1s 77-38. The women’s 3s played away against Glasgow Caledonia University 1s, winning 79-15. The men’s 1s earned a big 81-43 win on the road against the University of Strathclyde 1s, but the men’s 2s narrowly lost 57-55 to Heriot-Watt University 1s.  

Meanwhile, Edinburgh University Badminton Club (EUBC) had a tough week. The women’s 1s sadly lost 7-1 to Sheffield Hallam University 1s in their season opener. EUBC mixed 1s claimed a victory against EUBC mixed 2s yesterday with a score of 11-1. Unfortunately, the match between EUBC mixed 3s and Edinburgh Napier University 1s finished 8-4 in favour of Napier, while the mixed 5s match against Queen Margaret University 1s also ended in a 8-4 defeat. 

It was a great week for Edinburgh University Women’s Association Football Club (EUWAFC) with all three teams playing and winning. EUWAFC 1s won 2-0 against The University of St Andrews 1s. The 2s had a 4-2 home win over Robert Gordon University 1s and the 3s had a tremendous 6-1 home win over Queen Margaret University. 

There was a mixed bag of results for the Edinburgh University Women’s Hockey Club (EUWHC) this week. EUWHC 1s continued their great form by drawing 2-2 against Durham University 1s. However, EUWHC 2s and 3s lost 3-2 and 3-0 to University of Dundee 1s and University of Strathclyde 1s respectively. The EUWHC 6s and 7s won both their games, with the 6s winning 8-0 against the University of Stirling 3s and the 7s beating the University of The West of Scotland 1s 7-0. 

The Edinburgh University Futsal Club performance team played against the Dalkeith Thistle 1s away at Oriam in the Regional Premier League, winning 14-5. 

Carrying on the great work, Edinburgh University Men’s Association Football Club (EUAFC) 2s played their fellow EUAFC 20s. The match ended in a 3-1 victory for EUAFC 2s. EUAFC 1s were at home to the University of Stirling 2s, where the game finished with a 1-0 defeat. EUAFC 4s played the University of Stirling 4s, winning 3-0. The 20s after losing to the 2s earlier, beat the Spartans 20s, 3-2. 

Finally, the Edinburgh University Curling Club sadly lost 6-4 in their opening game of the season in the Linlithgow League against Aegon. The team were denied by an early defeat after the bell rang for the last stone of the 7th end. 

Image Courtesy of Edinburgh University Ultimate Frisbee Club (Ro Sham Bo) 

+