Unheavenly Creatures: Coheed and Cambria’s greatest work

Vaxis – Act 1: The Unheavenly Creatures is Coheed and Cambria’s latest album and, without a doubt, one of their finest. It is also their first album in six years to continue the Armory Wars storyline: an ambitious sci-fi concept story spanning several albums and series of comic books.

Coheed and Cambria’s musical talent is on full display in this album and every band member has moments to shine. Lead singer Claudio Sanchez’s vocals are, as always, excellent. There are more than a few great guitar solos and the album’s opening song is comprised of synth and piano; a fitting and thematic introduction.

Unheavenly Creatures is truly fantastic from the first song to last and there is not a weak link in the entire album. As a band, one of Coheed and Cambria’s greatest strengths is their ability to tell a coherent musical story in each album with every song still managing to be distinct in sound. Unheavenly Creatures is no different in this regard.

While, however, there are no bad songs on the album, a couple do stand out above the rest. The titular song ‘Unheavenly Creatures’ has a definitively spacey and ethereal sound which fits well and reminds the listener of the sci-fi universe the story is taking place in. The following song, ‘Toys’, is a more traditional hard rock song which almost defies you not to head-bang, especially during the brief guitar solo towards the end. It is the catchiest song of the album and a strong contender for the best. Finally, the album’s closer ‘Lucky Stars’, is a slow, melodic, and thoroughly melancholy song which serenely wraps up the latest chapter of the story and leaves the listener eager to hear the next.

Unheavenly Creatures is a step in an interesting new direction for the band but still maintains the mixture of heavy rock and slower melodies as well as the high concept sci-fi which fans of Coheed and Cambria have come to know and love. Whether or not you have listened to their music before, this album is absolutely worth checking out.

Image: Sven Mandel via Wikimedia Commons