What’s On: Equalise Week 2016

The Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre has supported thousands of survivors of sexual violence since it opened its doors in 1978 to victims in Edinburgh and the Lothians. This centre provides confidential support and information for not only women but also all members of the transgender community and young people who have experienced sexual violence from either male or female abusers. Many victims are often forced to remain in silence, and this community aims to empower survivors to help them make their own choices.

After a very successful first year of fundraising, the Edinburgh University Amnesty International Society is back to raise funds and awareness in aid of the Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre (ERCC). The intention is to change attitudes towards gendered violence and improve the quality of the services the Centre provides. If you want to be part of this campaign, there are a series of events you can attend.

-Gender and History: join the University of Edinburgh History Society in a lecture given by Dr. Tom Webster together with Cordelia Beattie, where they will explore the thematic of ‘Witches, women and worth: how and why gendered history is important and can contribute to a better world’. This will take place on the 2nd of February at 18:30, in Appleton Tower Lecture Theatre 5. The suggested donation is £3.

-Screening of ‘A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night’: if you are interested in Horror/Drama, this is the movie for you. Grab a bag of popcorn and head to Appleton Tower Lecture Theatre 1 on Wednesday 3rd of February at 18:30. It will be followed by a Question and Answer session until 21:00. It is free of charge but the suggested donation is only £2.

Cabaret Evening: as the big finale of the Equalise Week, drop by at the Jazz Bar for a night of music, dance, improv-theatre and spoken word. The entry is only £5 for students, and it is recommended that you buy early-bird tickets to avoid disappointment.

Choose which one of these events is for you, and learn more about this good cause!

Image: EUSA

+